Home Improvement Contractors Split on Health Care Reform

Share Article

As the debate over health care reform rages on in Washington, D.C. , ConstructionDeal.com surveyed 600 home improvement contractors to find out where they stand.

I would like to have health care coverage through the public in order for individuals and self employed to be covered. There should be a program set so it is no cost to the individual who need to go for checkups or for care.

As the debate over health care reform rages on in Washington, D.C. , ConstructionDeal.com surveyed 600 home improvement contractors to find out where they stand. Most contractors are in business for themselves or act as the sole proprietors of their company and are considered self-employed. For the self-employed, it can be difficult to find health insurance without high premiums or high deductibles. A recent survey for the National Association for the Self-Employed found that 49% of all independent contractors do not have health care coverage due to the high costs.

With health care reform the hot political topic, ConstructionDeal.com reached out to its network of contractors, many of whom do not have health care, and the results were surprising. Of the contractors surveyed, nearly 88% were following the health care debate over a public option for the uninsured. The survey also found that 57% of the contractors had individual health care coverage, leaving 43% indicating they had no coverage. The survey demonstrated that the contractors were split down the middle on their approval of a government-sponsored public health care option. 46% were for government health care reform and 46% were against (leaving 8% undecided.)

Surprisingly, these results vary widely from a September, 2009 Washington Post-ABC News poll which showed 55% of the country support "having the government create a new health insurance plan to compete with private health insurance plans." Another interesting finding from the ConstructionDeal.com survey of self-employed contractors showed that 41% of the responders who did not have individual health insurance were against the public option provided by the government.

The comments from the survey covered a wide spectrum on the issue. Some contractors wanted the government to avoid public health care: "The government should get out of all health care. Now." Other contractors were for it: "I would like to have health care coverage through the public in order for individuals and self employed to be covered. There should be a program set so it is no cost to the individual who need to go for checkups or for care." Several contractors made suggestions that no political pundits or representatives are even discussing. For example, one contractor brought up; "Maybe we should let the U.S. citizens decide and let it be voted on, if they can't come to a decision over there."

Based on the results, ideology can triumph over personal benefit and gain. It can also mean some contractors fear government intervention and higher taxes. But the ConstructionDeal.com survey results from their network of contractors mean the debate on health care reform will continue to be a hot-button issue in this country the rest of the year.

About Construction Deal, Inc.
Construction Deal Inc. has been helping homeowners and business owners complete their building, remodeling, and repair work since 2004. They have a nationwide network of quality contractors and service professionals waiting to provide quotes on projects. Property owners post residential or commercial requests at no cost and are matched to local experts, usually within 24 hours. Construction Deal, Inc., a trusted member of the Better Business Bureau, is the fastest growing contractor referral service in the industry.

###

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Aaron Rose
Visit website