Hurricane Sandy turned out to be a wake-up call for real estate owners and property managers, many of whom now realize that dramatic and potentially devastating weather patterns could well occur more frequently and therefore must be addressed seriously
New York, NY (PRWEB) December 06, 2012
In the wake of super storm Sandy, which ravaged the northeastern coast of the United States and put dozens of flooded high-rise office buildings in Lower Manhattan out of commission, a growing number of real estate owners and managers are now looking to equip their properties with high-tech systems that can better protect both their assets and their tenants.
That’s the word from one of the nation’s preeminent high-tech access control and building security solutions providers, William F. Peel III, CEO of Datawatch Systems, whose company has installed and refined its patented Remote Concierge Services system in hundreds of office buildings, large and small, around the country.
“Hurricane Sandy turned out to be a wake-up call for real estate owners and property managers, many of whom now realize that dramatic and potentially devastating weather patterns could well occur more frequently and therefore must be addressed in a serious way,” asserted Peel.
Datawatch Systems' Remote Concierge system is a menu of services that remotely monitors natural disasters—before and during impact—enabling greater communication and dissemination of information, including the ability to manage building access from afar.
“There is a definite surge in customer demand for remote monitoring, both because it’s a safer security method and it’s significantly less expensive than having hired guards on site,” added Peel. “Being able to remotely lock and unlock building doors, process visitors into a property during lock-down conditions and/or monitor flood conditions through our mechanical supervisory alarms, is a tremendous 21st century advantage. We don’t see the demand abating, especially as the global climate continues to be perilously unpredictable.”
Specifically, Remote Concierge Services offers:
- Access Phones: On site phones programmed to call Datawatch Systems’ Central Station to screen visitors and alert tenants and building staff about lockouts, emergency maintenance requests and life safety emergencies and more;
- Emergency Notification System: An email update capability, distributed to multiple lists alerting those who need to know about an emergency or impending natural disaster;
- Hurricane Watch: Developed first for the Florida region, Datawatch System’s web-based system is an emergency call service that enables facilities managers/owners to communicate with staff regarding the status of a building, progress of the hurricane, damage reports and building closure notifications. A two-way website, employees can log on to ascertain building status and get updates, as well as post their own status/location, indicating if they are safe and able to come to work. All of this real time information is viewable online and manned by Datawatch Systems' call center personnel 24/7.
- SafeRise: Provides facial, vocal and behavioral recognition for real-time access control. A camera detects, identifies and grants/denies access to the building before the person reaches the door;
- GuardWatch: An application used on site to monitor building card access in real time, and lock and unlock elevators and doors during special events or prevent further access to an intruder should a breach occur.
“Our systems help eliminate the need for security guards, reduce labor hours and related costs, and ensure our clients’ safety,” said Peel, who added that Datawatch Systems’ innovative engineers are continuing to design and develop newer, more advanced remote applications for an even broader range of building operations.
About Datawatch Systems
Founded in 1981, Datawatch Systems is a full-service commercial office building access control system provider serving a roster of more than 2,250 buildings domestically and globally. The heart of the company’s automated system is its 24-hour computerized monitoring center that enables multi-level security customized to the needs of individual clients. A complete managed security solutions provider, the company employs a staff of 175and in addition to its headquarters in Bethesda, MD, operates regional offices in Orlando, FL; Philadelphia, PA; Raleigh, NC; Houston, TX; New York, NY; Baltimore, MD and Richmond, VA.