(Vocus) September 29, 2008
A media preview and press conference for Target America: Opening Eyes to the Damage Drugs Cause will take place on Tuesday, Sept., 30 beginning at 10 a.m. This exhibit, which opens to the public on October 2, explores the science behind the issues of illegal drugs - from societal, health care and law enforcement perspectives. A "Southern California Story" section looks at prevention, treatment and law enforcement issues related to drugs in Southern California as well as current neuroscience research aimed at understanding and breaking the cycle of drug abuse and addiction.
When: September 30, 2008
10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Preview of Exhibit - 10:00 a.m.
Welcome remarks - 10:20 a.m.
Gallery Walk-through - 11:15 a.m.
Where: California Science Center
700 Exposition Park Drive, Los Angeles 90037
Enter the visitor lot at Figueroa & 39th/Exposition Park Drive.
Complimentary parking for those who RSVP at 213-744-7496 or show press credentials.
In addition to touring the exhibit, media representatives will be able to interview exhibit spokespersons, as well as community leaders including mayors and school superintendents from the five-county area surrounding Los Angeles. There will also be opportunities to talk to Science Center School children as they explore the exhibit.
Media are also welcome to attend the Gala Preview Reception on Wed., Oct 1 at 5:30 p.m., also being held at the California Science Center. Scheduled to speak are: Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, LA Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, and DEA Acting Administrator Michele Leonhart.
Visuals/Interactives will include:
- Guests being greeted by two rows of officers on 20 motorcycles representing the LAPD and CHP. A cavalcade of Sheriffs mounted on horseback will be circling at the entrance of the Science Center.
- Hoop Nightmares - a wacky basketball game that induces temporary memory loss and learn the latest UCLA scientific research on how methamphetamine use damages the memory centers of the brain.
- Wiretapping - An opportunity to speak into a wiretapped microphone and see your unique voice print. Learn about innovative technology pioneered in Southern California and view footage of drug law enforcers and wiretaps in action.
- Junior Special Agent: Drug Bust! - Through an immersive theater experience, ride along with seasoned California drug enforcement officers on a simulated drug bust. Discover the science, technology and skill of surveillance and apprehension.
- Wheel of Misfortune - Spin the Wheel of Misfortune and see the various risks drug addicts face. If you're lucky enough to land in rehab, spin the Wheel of Recovery and see what your chances are for long-term recovery. Find what treatment options are available throughout the southland.