KJ's Pizza recently had the honor to experience the Detroit Style Pizza Training Program, and we were impressed by Shawn Randazzo and his crew's dedication and focus on proper training techniques.
Detroit, MI (PRWEB) February 28, 2013
Detroit Style Pizza Co. today introduced its new Certified Detroit Style Pizza Maker certification and training programs. Pizzerias that serve Detroit Style Pizza can earn certification by demonstrating adherence to authentic Detroit Style Pizza preparation guidelines. Established pizzerias, startups and entrepreneurs can also enroll in the Detroit Style Pizza Training Program, which teaches authentic Detroit Style Pizza preparation and advanced strategies such as pizzeria marketing, management and business operation.
The programs are led by World Champion Pizza Maker Shawn Randazzo, who is well-respected in the pizza industry for his award-winning recipes and innovative business strategies. As Detroit Style Pizza Co. President, Randazzo created the programs to empower pizzeria operators to serve a style of pizza that has rapidly gained nationwide popularity in recent years.
“Demand for Detroit Style Pizza has grown as customers seek a unique and delicious alternative to big pizza chains, but until now there hasn't been a system in place to ensure authenticity and consistency among pizzerias that serve Detroit Style Pizza,” said Randazzo. “Many pizzeria operators have contacted me for consulting, so I wanted to streamline the process and set clear guidelines for preparing pizza that preserves the Detroit style tradition. Now, customers of Certified Detroit Style Pizza Makers know they're getting to enjoy truly authentic Detroit Style Pizza.”
Benefits for Certified Detroit Style Pizza Makers
To achieve certification, operators must demonstrate adherence to proper Detroit Style Pizza preparation guidelines. The certification fee is $3,000 USD. Benefits for Certified Detroit Style Pizza Makers include:
- Dedicated 50 sq. mi. territory in which no other pizzeria may be eligible for certification
- Use of the official Certified Detroit Style Pizza Maker seal in marketing and advertising collateral
- Listing on DetroitStylePizza.com, the leading resource for locating pizzerias that serve authentic Detroit Style Pizza
- Access to special members-only tips, advice and resources on DetroitStylePizza.com
Customized Detroit Style Pizza Training Program Puts Pizzerias on the Fast Track to Success
The Detroit Style Pizza Training Program was designed to put startups, entrepreneurs and existing pizzerias on the fast track to success by serving authentic Detroit Style Pizza. The five-day program features:
- Detroit Style Pizza dough preparation, proofing and management
- How to build and bake an authentic Detroit Style Pizza
- On-site training at the operator's location or a working Detroit Style Pizza Co. restaurant
- Hands-on training in a live working environment, including full-day side-by-side consulting
- Site-specific problem-solving and troubleshooting
- Custom training tailored to operator needs, including staff training and employee culture, delivery system efficiency, business management and marketing
- Certified Detroit Style Pizza Maker designation and benefits
- Optional 30-day on-site Detroit Style Pizza consultant
The Detroit Style Pizza Training Program lets operators quickly launch pizzerias by implementing proven strategies taught by World Champion Pizza Maker Shawn Randazzo. Trainees have access to extended phone support after the initial five-day on-site training. Operators can also opt for a 30-day on-site Detroit Style Pizza consultant to help streamline business processes and solve problems during the critical opening weeks.
Operators can enroll in the Detroit Style Training Program for $5,000 USD plus airfare and accommodations, which represents a low-cost way to enter the rapidly growing Detroit Style Pizza market. The extended 30-day on-site support program is available for an additional $4,500 plus airfare and accommodations.
KJ's Pizza Named Certified Detroit Style Pizza Maker
KJ's Pizza, owned and operated by Paul and Kathy Jechura in Grass Valley, California, recently earned Certified Detroit Style Pizza Maker designation. Detroit natives, the Jechuras grew up eating Detroit Style Pizza and wanted to bring the style to their California-based restaurant, which they recently converted from a Quizno's franchise. World Champion Pizza Maker Shawn Randazzo trained the Jechuras over a five-day period in early February 2013.
“KJ's Pizza recently had the honor to experience the Detroit Style Pizza Training Program, and we were impressed by Shawn Randazzo and his crew's dedication and focus on proper training techniques,” said Paul Jechura. “Shawn's ability to 'rally the troops' and develop team spirit with all of the new team members was unbelievable. He's one of the best motivational speakers I have ever encountered.”
Authentic Detroit Style Pizza Preparation Requirements
Certified Detroit Style Pizza Makers are free to craft their own recipes, as long as they adhere to the following requirements for authentic Detroit Style Pizza:
- Pizza must be prepared in seasoned square steel pans
- Dough must be properly proofed and feature optimal hydration levels between 65 and 75 percent
- Pepperoni must be layered under the cheese
- Cheese must be applied edge-to-edge so it caramelizes during baking
- Sauce must be ladled on top
- Pizza must be baked in deck oven or approved alternative
The Detroit Style Pizza Co. Certified Detroit Style Pizza Maker and Detroit Style Pizza Training Programs are available in the U.S. and Canada. Other international certification and training may be available.
For more information, visit http://www.DetroitStylePizza.com.
Detroit Style Pizza Co. serves the award-winning Authentic Detroit Style Pizza in its two Metro Detroit locations and increases awareness of Detroit style pizza through expansion, education, and sharing its history while providing memories and opportunities for others. Owned and operated by Shawn Randazzo and his mother, Linda Michaels, Detroit Style Pizza Co. is located at St. Clair Shores (586-445-2810) and Clinton Township (586-286-9030); and delivers Detroit style pizzas coast-to-coast via mail order. Focused on quality, community and people, Detroit Style Pizza Co. is open from 3:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. weekdays; 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Friday and Saturday; and 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Sunday.