Atlanta, GA (PRWEB) August 8, 2009
The majority of homes in the U.S. is roofed using asphalt shingles. Economical and able to last 20-50 years, these shingles are very reliable if maintained properly. KTM Roofing, a leading Atlanta roofer, has provided some basic asphalt roof repair maintenance tips on its website ktmroofing.com.
Identifying common trouble spots on your asphalt roof will help increase the chances your roof makes it to its full life expectancy. To do this KTM advises the homeowner to begin with a visual inspection. Though most roofs are sloped, not all aspects of your roof can necessarily be seen from the ground. If safe, consider placing a ladder on the side of your home so you can inspect your roof annually, or call a professional.
DIY Asphalt Roof Inspection - What to Look for:
1. Debris - If debris from leaves or branches is present on top of your roof, clean the spot affected. You may need to sweep this area periodically if large trees are in the vicinity. It is important to keep your roof clear from debris because it can collect water, potentially weakening your roof.
2. Missing Shingles - Visually inspect for bare spots. Missing asphalt shingles can lead to water seeping into your home. If your roof is missing shingles, contact an Atlanta roofing contractor to replace the affected areas.
3. Shingles Lifting - If you notice shingles lifting the chances of strong wind blowing them away are greatly increased. If safe to do so, you can apply roofing cement under loose shingles.
4. Open Gaps - If you notice any open gaps along roof vents, chimneys, or plumbing boots there is a potential for leakage. These areas should be repaired and the area below the open gaps inspected for potential water damage.
When it's too big for DIY:
Some jobs are not suited for DIY, roof repair can be one of those. Ensuring your roof won't leak, can be difficult. Some homeowners do not like being on the roof because of the height of their roof, or the angle of the roof. If you are planning a DIY roof repair, KTM Roofing advises to make sure safety is a top priority. For those that performed a DIY inspection, but want to call in a professional, here are some considerations to look for in a roofer:
- Local references and customer testimonials
- Business License
- Roofing credentials
- Workers compensation insurance
- General liability insurance
- Written manufacturer warranties
- Written labor warranties
- Better Business Bureau website report
Celebrating 25 Years as a Metro Atlanta Roofing Company:
In 2009 KTM Roofing celebrates their 25th year as an Atlanta roofing contractor. Founded in 1984 and incorporated in 1995, KTM has installed thousands of asphalt roofs throughout metro Atlanta and North Georgia, developing a reputation as a leading roofer within the community.
Follow KTM Updates:
For updates about KTM Roofing, trends in the roofing industry and trends in Atlanta roofing, visit KTM's roofing blog.
For more information, or to receive a free roof quote visit ktmroofing.com
About KTM Roofing:
KTM Roofing has been raising roofing standards in Georgia since 1984™. This Atlanta roofing company is dedicated to excellence in professional roofing. Specializing in roof replacements, KTM can work with a variety of roof materials including natural slate, synthetic slate, clay tile, concrete tile, cedar, pine, cypress, modified bitumen and asphalt. You can receive a roof proposal from KTM Roofing by visiting ktmroofing.com, or by calling 678-565-7663.