It is indeed gratifying to see all the many individuals in our community that are making such a wonderful difference in peoples' lives;
Melbourne, FL (PRWEB) October 25, 2012
The Congressional Recognition Award was presented by Congressman Bill Posey on Saturday October 13, 2012 at the 1st Annual Viva Brevard Festival which was held at Palm Bay Regional Park in Palm Bay Florida.
Marta M. Fiol, Chair of the Nominating Committee of the Viva Brevard Festival who notified Luis of his selection said, “It is indeed gratifying to see all the many individuals in our community that are making such a wonderful difference in peoples' lives; lives that will be changed for the better, and hopefully pass on what they have learned and observed from you!”
For over 20 years Luis has selflessly supported his community by:
- Teaching people with disabilities how to manufacture products in an assembly environment as part of the Association of the Blind
- Rebuilding and painting houses for the disabled or economically challenged community members as part of the “Paint Your Heart Out” Team
- Establishing a Hispanics Inspiring Students’ Performance & Achievement Organization (HISPA) local chapter in Shreveport, LA to promote growth, education and advancement within the Hispanic community.
- Promoting education and science by developing and teaching electronic circuits classes focused on radio frequency technologies.
- Coaching students, ages 5 – 17 basketball and baseball for 15 years in both Louisiana and Florida.
- Participating in and supporting multiple cancer associations, including bike rides, walk-a-thons, and cancer relays.
Luis joined DTx in 2004 and has been instrumental in the development of DTx's corporate giving plan, which includes a long history of support for the American Cancer Society. Additionally he spearheaded the development of DTx’s unique Summer Internship Program which provides opportunities for local students to learn more about business and the manufacturing industry. Luis also implemented a program with local organization Bridges, to help children with disabilities to learn manufacturing and assembly of products. (Today, DTx outsources the build of 1000’s of units a year to Bridges.) Luis regularly gives of himself to youth organizations within the surrounding community. Of particular importance to Luis, (who was born to Spanish parents in Havana, Cuba) is the time he volunteers at local schools where he promotes and teaches the value of education and freedom.
“It is hard to take credit for doing something I believe is a personal responsibility. Communities grow, thrive and are made strong by the individuals within them. But I am extremely honored to receive this special award and I hope the recognition encourages others to help strengthen their community,” said Alvarez.
About DTx: Since 1991, DTx has been recognized as the authority on highly reliable embedded computing systems and advanced display solutions. As an Original Design Manufacturer (ODM), we provide Engineering, Manufacturing and Supply Chain Management services to OEMs in the medical device, industrial automation and defense industries. We deliver value through product design and innovation, life cycle management, logistics and post production support for processor-based technologies. Our end-to-end solutions enable OEMs to focus on their core competencies