Our R&D engine is powerful and continues to deliver high-margin, high-performance products even in this challenging environment
Wilmington, Del. (Vocus) February 11, 2009
DuPont Senior Vice President and Chief Science & Technology Officer Uma Chowdhry today announced that the DuPont research pipeline delivered strong results in 2008 in the face of a global economic recession with over $10 billion of 2008 revenue from new products commercialized in the previous five years.
"Our R&D engine is powerful and continues to deliver high-margin, high-performance products even in this challenging environment," Chowdhry said. "Our scientists are more determined than ever to seize opportunities to create new, sustainable products and technologies that will deliver value for our customers both today and as customers position their businesses for the recovery from this global economic crisis."
DuPont has several metrics in place to measure the progress of its R&D pipeline:
Sales From New Products: DuPont sales from new products launched in the previous five years was $10.5 billion in 2008 or approximately 35 percent of the company's revenue. Revenue from new products and applications has increased by more than $5 billion since 2002.
Patents Filed and Granted: DuPont scientists have more than doubled the number of patents they filed in the United States since 2001. In 2008, DuPont filed more than 1,900 patent applications and were granted 495 patents during the year. DuPont currently holds more than 6,000 active U.S. patents.
New Product Launches: DuPont commercialized 901 new products and applications in 2008, bringing the total to more than 5,000 new products and applications launched in the past five years.
Examples of significant new product introductions in 2008 include:
- The Y Series Soybeans from Pioneer Hi-Bred out-yield competitive varieties by as much as 10 percent. Developed with AYT™ (Accelerated Yield Technology) and proprietary genetics, these are the first in a series of new soybean varieties that allow DuPont to deliver on its goal of increasing soybean yields by 40 percent by 2018.
- Research & Development magazine honored DuPont™ Rynaxypyr®, an advanced insect control product, as one of the 100 most innovative new products introduced in 2008. This new active ingredient optimizes a plant's potential to produce a high-quality, high-yielding harvest. Products powered by Rynaxypyr® provide fast-acting, long-lasting protection from pests that damage farmers' crops.
- DuPont continued to achieve more than 30 percent year-over-year growth by providing critical materials to the photovoltaics market. Several new solar materials were introduced in 2008, including DuPont™ Solamet® PV159 thick-film metallization paste for the frontside of a photovoltaic solar cell which provides significant improvement in lowering cost per watt for the producer through increased efficiency and higher electrical output.
- DuPont™ ChromaPremier® Pro System is a new refinish coatings system designed for high-volume collision repair shops providing faster drying times which can help free up automotive paint booths more quickly and minimize energy costs without sacrificing performance needed for high-temperature environments.
- DuPont continued its efforts to bring to market high-performance renewably sourced materials, including two sustainable packaging products: DuPont™ Biomax® PTT for molded caps and containers and DuPont™ Biomax® TPS for biodegradable, compostable packaging structures.
- DuPont™ Kevlar® for vehicle armor laminates includes mine resistant ambush protected (MRAP) vehicles that are designed to withstand assaults from improvised explosive devices and other threats. In this new application, laminates made with DuPont™ Kevlar® brand fiber are being used in the MRAP vehicle to provide the balance of ballistic threat protection and weight with an inherently non-flammable material.
DuPont is a science-based products and services company. Founded in 1802, DuPont puts science to work by creating sustainable solutions essential to a better, safer, healthier life for people everywhere. Operating in more than 70 countries, DuPont offers a wide range of innovative products and services for markets including agriculture and food; building and construction; communications; and transportation.
# # #