(PRWEB UK) 9 February 2013
•89% of passengers satisfied with their service
•Satisfaction up in 29 different categories
•Significant increase in satisfaction with station facilities
•Ticket buying facilities and station/train cleanliness score highly
More passengers are satisfied with their East Midlands Trains service than ever before, according to the latest independent national passenger survey issued on 29 January 2013.
The results of the survey, released today by transport watchdog Passenger Focus, show overall satisfaction has increased to 89%, marking the highest ever level of passenger satisfaction and showing a 2% year on year increase in satisfaction.
The Stagecoach-owned train operator saw an increase in 29 different categories, with significant increases in satisfaction with station facilities and the train fleet.
Around £10 million has now been invested in East Midlands Trains stations and the survey demonstrated that satisfaction in this area has also increased to a significant 89%. This marks a 6% year on year increase in overall station satisfaction.
In addition, passengers rated ticket buying facilities very highly, with satisfaction increasing from 79% to 87%. This follows a programme of investment that has seen the installation of around 100 additional ticket machines across the route to make it easier for passengers to buy and collect their tickets. Station cleanliness also scored highly, with overall satisfaction in this area increasing by 4% to 86%.
East Midlands Trains station teams were also praised by passengers. 91% of passengers were satisfied with how their request to station staff was handled, marking a 2% year on year increase, and 81% were happy with the helpfulness of station staff, a 4% year on year increase.
One of the biggest increases related to how well East Midlands Trains dealt with delays, and satisfaction in this area increased by a significant 17% year on year.
Following the completion of East Midlands Trains’ £30 million fleet investment programme, which has seen all 93 of the company’s trains completely refurbished, 87% of passengers expressed overall satisfaction with the train. Exterior train cleanliness increased by 2% year on year, whilst satisfaction with interior cleanliness went up from 82% to 84%.
David Horne, Managing Director for East Midlands Trains, said: “We’re all really proud to have achieved our highest ever level of passenger satisfaction. Our staff are committed to working hard day in, day out, to provide the best level of service for our passengers and these results are great recognition of their work.
“We are still determined to keep improving further and hope that our huge station and train investment programme, and the continued commitment of our people to provide excellent customer service, will see these results grow and grow.”
Notes to Editors
For media enquiries, please contact East Midlands Trains on 01738 442111. Out of office hours: An on-call service operates for urgent media enquiries out of hours. To access this service, please call 08448 222888 and quote MEDIA1. Please leave a short message, including your name, media organisation, phone number and the nature of your enquiry. The on call press officer will then return your call.
For a selection of East Midlands Trains images visit http://www.flickr.com/photos/eastmidlandstrains.
East Midlands Trains
- East Midlands Trains, part of the Stagecoach Group, runs fast, frequent trains from and to London St Pancras International and key UK destinations throughout the East Midlands, including Leicester, Derby, Sheffield, Nottingham, Manchester and Liverpool.
- East Midlands Trains is currently investing over £40 million to improve stations across its network and every single passenger train within its fleet.
- East Midlands Trains is committed to offering great value fares. Use the Best Fare Finder to search for cheap train tickets and book cheap train tickets to London and on more than 400 routes across the UK.
- Stagecoach Group is a leading international public transport group, with extensive operations in the UK, United States and Canada. The Group employs around 35,000 people, and operates bus, coach, train, and tram services.
- Stagecoach is one of UK’s biggest bus and coach operators with around 7,800 buses and coaches. Around 2.5 million passengers travel on Stagecoach's buses every day on a network stretching from south-west England to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. The Group’s business includes major city bus operations in London, Liverpool, Newcastle, Hull, Manchester, Oxford, Sheffield and Cambridge. Low-cost coach service, megabus.com, operates between around 60 towns and cities across the UK.
- Stagecoach is a major UK rail operator, running the South West Trains, Island Line and East Midlands Trains networks. It has a 49% shareholding in Virgin Rail Group, which operates the West Coast inter-city rail franchise.
- Stagecoach also operates the Supertram light rail network in Sheffield.
- In North America, Stagecoach operates around 2,900 buses and coaches in the United States and Canada. Megabus.com links around 100 key locations in North America. Stagecoach is also involved in operating commuter and transit services, contracted bus services, charters, sightseeing tours and a small number of school bus services.
East Midlands Trains, 1 Prospect Place, Millennium Way, Pride Park, Derby DE24 8HG