“I’m not just a basketball player, I’m somebody who’s well-rounded in all aspects of the world—whether it’s in fashion, community, giving back through my foundation." - Russell Westbrook
Chicago, IL (PRWEB) April 13, 2017
A groundbreaker in the world of fashion, an all-star point guard for the Oklahoma City Thunder and recently anointed triple-crown king, Russell Westbrook has established himself as an electrifying presence on and off the court. Although he is known as a man of a few words, he discusses in a rare and candid in-depth interview with EBONY his journey as an athlete, role as a husband and soon-to-be father, and who he is when the world is not watching.
“I’m not just a basketball player, I’m somebody who’s well-rounded in all aspects of the world—whether it’s in fashion, community, giving back through my foundation,” Westbrook explained. “But I think to be able to do that on a consistent basis and to find ways to get better, that’s what I want people to say about me when I am done playing basketball.”
The 2017 April/May travel issue is dedicated to shared experiences, making connections and navigating your way out of your comfort zone.
“Spring is about transformation and not being afraid to embrace change on all levels,” says EBONY Editor-in-Chief and Senior Vice President, Head of Digital Editorial Kyra Kyles. “Having this talented, ever-evolving cover star in Russell Westbrook is just one part of that overall approach to our issue. We’re also going to give readers the tools to evolve within their lives, from style to health to personal relationships.”
Issue highlights include:
- Crowned Jewels: Meet the top 10 winners from EBONY’s 2016-2017 HBCU Campus Queens Contest
- Mom and Me: 4 Destinations to explore with your first true love ... your mother
- Leaders of the New Cool: Travel beauty tips from digital influencers DJ Kitty Cash, Claire Sulmers and TK Wonder
- In Our Cities: EBONY’s original multimedia series heads to Detroit, America’s greatest renaissance story thanks to a thriving auto industry, creative entrepreneurs and growing hospitality scene
- The gift that keeps on giving: The importance of organ donation in the Black community
- Rebirth after the sex trade: How one woman transformed herself after 25 years of prostitution
- African-Americans in the outfield: The number of Blacks in Major League Baseball still pales in comparison to other sports
Elsewhere in the issue we explore Gabrielle Union's Flawless hair care line, spend 72 hours in Africa’s next hot spot, Nambia; get a close-up with actress Condola Rashad, take a first look at sci-fi thriller Sleight and offer a guide to the summer's hottest sneakers. For more, pick up the April/May 2017 issue of EBONY on newsstands now. And to get more Westbrook, check out behind-the-scenes video on Ebony.com. Read and join the conversation on social media using #TravelIssue
EBONY is the No. 1 source for an authoritative perspective on the multidimensional African-American community. The EBONY brand, including print, digital, and social reaches over 50 million readers monthly. EBONY media reflects the cross section of Black America as delivered by the best thinkers, trendsetters, activists, celebrities and next-generation leaders. EBONY ignites conversation, promotes empowerment and celebrates aspiration. EBONY magazine is the heart, soul and pulse of Black America, and a catalyst for reflection and progression. Follow and engage with us: @EbonyMag on Twitter, EbonyMag on Facebook, EbonyMag.Tumblr.com on Tumblr, and Ebony.com on the Web. We are not “new Black” nor “old Black”; we are ALL Black!