Townsend created a lovely, intimate portrait of musician St. Vincent (no small feat, as it was taken while she was performing live), said PDN Magazine.
Past News ReleasesRSS
New York, NY (PRWEB) February 3, 2010
Music photographer Eric M. Townsend of New York, NY has been named winner of the 2009 Billboard / PDN Magazine "Ultimate Music Moment" contest, taking first place in the performance category for his photo of St. Vincent (aka Annie Clark) at Radio City Music Hall.
Said PDN, "Townsend created a lovely, intimate portrait of musician St. Vincent (no small feat, as it was taken while she was performing live)."
Approaching live concert photography as though he is shooting a portrait of the performer on stage, Townsend's unique style helped him stand out among his peers. "There are large, over-the-top moments at every concert, but my interest lies in creating intimate photos out of those moments, rather than just capturing what's directly in front of me. My photos tend to be very singular and intimate in that sense," he said.
"I have to work hard to find and capture the more stoic, quiet moments on stage, and that is where I find satisfaction in shooting live music. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but that's what makes the moments that work even more rewarding."
Based in New York City with a focus on editorial, music and documentary images, Townsend has photographed musicians from Bruce Springsteen to Metallica and Alicia Keys to Al Green. His work has been published in SPIN, Village Voice and Relix, and his clients have included Yahoo!Music/Pepsi, DMZ/Columbia Records and Virgin Records.
Other Achievements in 2009:
- Still photographer for the award-winning, Official Tribeca Film Selection, P-Star Rising, which premiers on PBS Independent Lens on February 9th, 2010 and will be released on DVD soon. The feature length film chronicles the life of a 9-year-old female rapper from Harlem trying to break into the music industry while struggling to survive. (pstarrising.com)
- Featured in an article about photographers' rights in Australia's The Music Network Magazine, November 2009
- Photo of Green Day at Madison Square Garden named PDN's "Photo of the Day," August 2009
- Cited in a Shutterbug article about photographers using the new Windows 7 Operating System and why they are making the switch, December 2009
- Featured in Crain's NY and on CBS 880 in a business article about American Express and small business owners, August 2009
For more information:
EricMTownsend.com | Twitter: @ericmtownsend
For press inquiries:
# # #