Burlington, MA (PRWEB) May 09, 2012
Exa Corporation, a global innovator of fluids simulation solutions for product engineering, today announced the latest release of its PowerFLOW product suite, Release 4.4. With nearly one hundred enhancements, this release significantly improves performance and user productivity, streamlining its industry-leading fluids-analysis simulation process. Overall turnaround times are reduced with performance improvements, new incremental discretization technology that accelerates automatic fluid grid creation for modified models, application-specific case setup templates for thermal and aeroacoustic analyses, and dozens of other changes designed to make analysis of complex problems faster and easier.
“Our customers are already running large numbers of simulations with PowerFLOW to meet their product development requirements,” commented Chuck Alexander, Exa’s Director of Product Management for Simulation Products. “Many customers are now using design space exploration and optimization techniques early in the product development process to gain rapid insight into complex design behavior. This is driving the need for an ever faster and more automated simulation process. PowerFLOW 4.4 provides a more efficient process with new automation capabilities and performance improvements in almost every step of setup, simulation, and analysis.”
Many thermal analysis improvements are also included in this suite release. Highlights include a new thermal battery model in PowerTHERM, which enables accurate simulation of the complex thermal and electrical behavior of batteries as well as an improved human comfort model that extends thermal simulation capabilities to include the heat transfer due to evaporation, condensation, blood flow, and sweat.
PowerFLOW 4.4 Highlights:
- Incremental Discretization: Exa’s automatic fluid grid generation (called discretization) is now up to 80% faster on iterative runs when minor case changes are required—typical when performing many runs for optimization
- Large Cluster Performance: Simulator speed on large clusters may improve by up to 15%, depending on the case and the cluster specifications
- Decomposer Performance: PowerFLOW’s decomposer, which prepares a simulation to run on high performance parallel computing clusters with potentially thousands of processors, has been significantly improved. Cases that previously required an hour or more to decompose can now complete in a few minutes, even when decomposing for thousands of processors.
- New Application-Specific Templates: Thermal and wind noise case templates have been added to PowerCASE for a faster, more automated setup process.
- Easy Template Switching: Existing template setups may be quickly switched for aerodynamic, thermal, and aeroacoustics simulations of the same or similar geometry.
Included with this release are updates and improvements to PowerTHERM and PowerVIZ:
- Faster Setup: New capabilities speed the setup time of complex thermal problems with streamlined management of models and boundary conditions.
- New Battery Model: Simulates the thermal and electrical behavior of batteries including ambient or cell temperatures and time dependent voltage and current conditions (requires additional license).
- Human Comfort and Evaporation Model Improvement: Enhanced model extends thermal simulation capabilities to include the heat transfer due to evaporation, condensation, blood flow and sweat to improve calculations of skin and core temperatures (requires additional license).
- Improved particle tracking analysis, visualization options and performance.
- Streamline and trajectory tracking calculations are now multi-threaded, leveraging multiple cores typically available on modern hardware.
About Exa Corporation
Exa Corporation develops, sells and supports simulation software and services to enhance product performance, reduce product development costs and improve the efficiency of design and engineering processes. Our simulation solutions enable our customers to gain crucial insights about design performance early in the design cycle, thus reducing the likelihood of expensive redesigns and late-stage engineering changes. As a result, our customers realize significant cost savings and fundamental improvements in their engineering development process. Our products include, PowerFLOW®, PowerDELTA®, PowerCLAY®, PowerVIZ®, PowerSPECTRUM®, PowerACOUSTICS®, PowerINSIGHT®, PowerCOOL® and PowerTHERM® along with professional engineering consulting services. A partial customer list includes: AGCO, BMW, Ford, Hyundai, Kenworth, MAN, Nissan, Peterbilt, Renault, Scania, Toyota, Volkswagen, and Volvo Trucks.
Founded in 1991, the company is headquartered at 55 Network Drive, Burlington, MA, USA 01803. Tel: 1.781.564.0200; Fax: 1.781.564.0299; URL: http://www.exa.com