90% of youth sports' eye injuries could be prevented by protective eyewear. Defog It antifog is offering these simple tips to help get kids to put on protective eyewear and keep it on.
Valley View, Ohio (Vocus) May 10, 2010
During May’s National Physical Fitness and Sports Month, Defog It antifog reminds parents, coaches and trainers of the importance of safety eyewear to protect the vision of young athletes. Of the 2.5 million eye injuries that occur every year, children under 15 years of age account for nearly one-third of all hospital admissions for eye trauma and 43 percent of sports and recreational eye injuries overall. Following a few simple tips can save the vision of thousands of youth.
- Choose protective eyewear that looks the part. Today there are often more fashionable choices in safety eyewear. Good looks may help children willingly wear their eyewear.
- Comfort is important. Eyewear that pinches the nose or straps that slip are handy excuses to put aside eyewear. Take the time to find something that really works.
- Make sure fogged eyewear isn’t a problem. Kids will want to take off their eyewear when athletic activity works up a sweat that causes fogging. Temperature can also play a role: the cold of a hockey rink or the July heat of a baseball diamond can cause fogging. An antifog treatment like Defog It can eliminate the problem.
- Do you need a strap? It will secure the eyewear during play and help keep them close by during downtime.
- Take the message to coaches, trainers, parents and boosters. It could be time to join the many schools and organizations that have an official recreational eye safety equipment program. Invite health providers or safety experts to explain the hazards and need.
- Include eye safety information at sign-ups for sports teams and day camps.
- Create a poster to distribute in gyms and sports facilities.
“90% of youth sports' eye injuries could be prevented by protective eyewear,” says Jodi Groh, Director of Marketing for Nanofilm, maker of Defog It antifog towelettes and liquid. “Defog It antifog is offering these simple tips to help get kids to put on protective eyewear and keep it on.”
Defog It antifog urges all Americans to participate in National Physical Fitness and Sports Month, which is a program of the President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports. There is a toolkit of resources at the website.
Defog It antifog towelettes and Defog It antifog liquid can provide all-day fog prevention on sports safety eyewear, eyeglasses, sunglasses, and other eyewear. Tested safe for all optics, the formula is used by the military around the world. Buy Defog It towelettes and liquid or find more information at http://www.defogitworks.com and 1-888-ENDS-FOG.
Nanofilm, founded in 1985, is the maker of Clarity Defog It™ and a global optical leader in lens care and coatings. Millions of people around the world use Nanofilm products, including Clarity Clean It™ and other lens care products, as well as nanotechnology-enabled coatings. More information is available at http://www.nanofilmproducts.com .