RestorationLocal.com Reports Winter Weather A Leading Cause Of Fire Damage

Share Article

Water and fire restoration leader advises caution during the winter months, with January and February notable for increased numbers of fire damage cases.

Cooking is the leading cause of house fires, with most cases taking place in the early evening between 5 – 8PM

RestoraationLocal.com is warning property owners of the fire dangers commonly associated with winter weather. Cold weather means that a lot of activities take place indoors, including holiday cooking, roaring fires in the fireplace, and the use of candles and space heaters for both comfort and aesthetic purposes. As a result, the risk of unwanted ignition and fire damage is greatly increased.

Cooking is the leading cause of house fires, with most cases taking place in the early evening between 5 – 8PM. Fireplaces come in a close second, the result of either sparks flying out of the fireplace and landing on carpeting or rugs, or the removal of ashes from the fireplace while they are still hot.

Homeowners are advised to use a screen to prevent sparks from flying, and always make sure the fire has been completely extinguished before leaving it alone. Do not leave the house or go to bed if you still have smoldering ashes. When the ashes are removed, they should be placed in a metal container and properly disposed of.

Also, refrain from using the fireplace to burn boxes, wrapping paper, Christmas trees or other waste.

Candles are responsible for starting about 35 fires nationally every day, and have been responsible for over 150 deaths, 1000 injuries, and about $500 million in damages over the last four years. Most of these cases involve flammable material coming into contact with candle flames, or people going to bed without extinguishing their candles. Candles should be put out after use, and candle holders should not be prone to overturning.

Children also tend to be one of the more significant fire damage threats; as they are fascinated by lighting and flames, they are prone to get too close to where they shouldn’t be. Children should be kept away from power cords, candles, and other open flames. Matches and lighters should also be kept safely out of reach. Use only lighters that have child resistant switches. Children should be trained to tell an adult if they see matches or lighters where they should not be.

RestorationLocal.com is a leading provider of water and fire damage restoration services, with providers in all 50 states. They offer same day emergency service in cases of fire damage.

###

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Matt Staton
Visit website