Offers Tips On Fire Damage Prevention During Christmas

Share Article

Fire damage repairs should never be a part of the Christmas season. provides advice on preventing those problems before they occur.

A house soon to be in need of restoration services

Every year, in virtually every community, there are news reports of families being displaced due to fire damage caused by Christmas decorations.

The Yuletide season is here, and homes across the country are becoming decorated with Christmas trees, lights, garland, tinsel, and various other signs of the season, some of which can bring with them hidden dangers, most notably the risk of fire. Every year, in virtually every community, there are news reports of families being displaced due to fire damage caused by Christmas decorations., one of the leading providers of fire damage and water damage restoration service in the country, offers a few simple tips for property owners to make sure that their Christmas is indeed a merry one.

The Christmas tree should be firmly anchored, to prevent it from toppling over. Children or pets are common caused for capsized trees.

The tree should be properly located away from any heat generating sources, such as radiator vents, electrical outlets, space heaters, and fireplaces. Live trees tend to dry out quickly and can catch fire in a matter of seconds. If the tree is artificial, it should be made of fire retardant materials.

Always unplug the tree lights when leaving the home or before going to bed. A lit up house is pretty to look at, but there should never be the risk of ignition while the home is vacant.

Avoid overloading extension cords. A maximum of three strands of light are recommended. Overloading the cord or power strip may run the risk of short circuit and subsequent fire.

Candles are welcome and attractive additions to the holiday décor, but they should always be extinguished before leaving the home, or again, before going to bed. Do not use candles in window sills or mantles.

Keep cords out of reach of animals. Pets love to chew on things, and a cord could cause serious injury to the animal as well as sparking a blaze in the home.

Inspect all light strands before using them. If they have become frayed or old, replace them with a new set. Lights aren’t that expensive and it certainly beats having to pay for fire damage repairs as a result of one frayed cord.

Once the season is over, do not attempt to dispose of the tree, wrapping paper, or wreaths by putting them in the fireplace. These items are extremely flammable and may cause fire to spill out as a result and spread throughout the house. offers is a certified fire damage restoration company offering a complete range of repair and restoration services designed to handle any size case of water or fire damage. Visit them at their website or by calling 1-888-290-0880.


Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Matt Staton
Visit website