RestorationLocal.com Warns January Is A Peak Month For Electrical Fires

Share Article

Fire damage restoration company warns of above average fire risk during the first month of 2012. They also offer advice for effective fire prevention.

According to FEMA, some 500 people are killed by electrical fires every year, with another 1500 suffering serious injury.

RestorationLocal.com, an industry leader in the field of water damage restoration and fire damage restoration, warns that January is a peak month of the year for electrical fires in home and businesses.

According to FEMA, some 500 people are killed by electrical fires every year, with another 1500 suffering serious injury. Many of these fires are ignited by overloaded extension cords, electrical appliances, or space heaters. Worn out and frayed wiring may also be a cause.

Extension cords are one of the primary causes of electrical fires due to people plugging so many different items into one cord and using it on a permanent basis, as opposed to the temporary use that many of them are designed for. Appliances may also overload and cause an electrical fire within the walls of a structure if the circuit doesn’t properly trip.

RestorationLocal.com suggests that most electrical fires are easily avoided by exercising some common sense and eliminating the elements that are most likely to cause such a blaze. They recommend following the National Fire Protection Association’s 10 basic rules for electrical fire prevention.

1)    Keep flammable materials at least 3 feet away from any heating equipment, such as a furnace, wood stove, or space heater.
2)    Never allow children within three feet of any open fire or space heater.
3)    Never use you oven to heat your home. This is a huge temptation when the heat goes out.
4)    Have all stationary heating equipment installed by a professional according to local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.
5)    Have your heating system inspected every year.
6)    Turn off any portable heaters when leaving your home or before going to bed.
7)    Always use the correct fuel for any space heater.
8)    Use a screen for your fireplace to prevent sparks from flying onto the carpet.
9)    Make sure the batteries in your smoke alarms are fresh.
10)    Have a home evacuation plan that includes two ways out of each room and an outside meeting place.

In addition, do not overload extension cords or electrical outlets, be aware of light switches that are hot to the touch or produce sparks, and replace any worn out wiring or other electrical components as you become aware of them.

Electrical appliances should also be kept away from wet floors or any standing water, as this could trigger an ignition.

Use three pronged plugs only in three pronged outlets. Never force them somewhere they weren’t designed to go.

In the event of an electrical fire, do not throw water on the blaze. It will not put it out and may
actually make it worse. If possible (and safe to do so), shut off the electricity to the home at the main breaker box.

RestorationLocal.com is a Cleveland based water damage and fire damage restoration provider with service in all 50 states

###

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Matt Staton
Visit website