Don't assume your car won't start a fire just because it is parked in your garage.
Tulsa, Ok (PRWEB) March 30, 2012
Lawyer Michael E. Carr announced today Carr & Carr Attorneys is accepting cases which relate to an unsafe switch which can cause fires in cars and trucks. Ford Motor Vehicles has issued recalls for millions of vehicles due to a potential fire risk caused by a defective speed control deactivation device which is located in the engine compartment of a vehicle. The switch is commonly called the speed control switch.
"Unfortunately, a fire can start even when the car is turned off or even has been off for several days," Carr said. "If you think your Ford vehicle is safe in your garage, you'd better check again.
"One of our clients suffered a tremendous loss due to this defective switch. Their truck caught fire during the night, it spread to the garage, and then their entire home was ablaze. This family lost all of their possessions."
The switches run continuously even when the vehicle is not in operation and are susceptible to fail over time, causing electrical fires.
Carr said, "The switch has two parts -- an electrical side and a non-electrical side. The seal between that separates the two sides brakes breaks down over time, allowing brake fluid to leak into the electrical side and causing a ground to short.
"Since the switch is powered all the time, a fire can start even when the car has been off and turned off for several days. Some of our clients have suffered smoke inhalation and were fortunate to escape without being killed."
Recalled vehicles include:
- 1992-1998 Ford Crown Victoria, Lincoln Town Car & Mercury Grand Marquis
- 1993-1995 Ford Taurus SHO
- 1993-1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
- 1994 Mercury Capri
- 1993-1996 Ford Bronco
- 1997-2002 Ford Expedition
- 1998-2001 Ford Explorer & Mercury Mountaineer
- 1998-2002 Lincoln Navigator
- 2000-2003 Ford Excursion
- 2001-2002 Ford Explorer Sport & Ford Explorer Sport Trac
- 1993-2004 Ford F-150
- 1993-2003 Ford F-250
- 1993-1999 Ford F-250 gas engine
- 1993-2003 Ford F-350, Ford F-450 & Ford F-550
- 1993-2002 F Series Super Duty
- 1998-2002 Ford Ranger
- 2001 F-Series Super Crew
- 2002-2003 Lincoln Blackwood
- 2003-2004 Ford F-150 Lightning
- 1992-1993, 1997-2003 E150-350
- 1994-1996 Ford Econoline
- 1996-2003 Ford E-450 gas or natural gas
- 2002 Ford E-550 gas
RVs & Motor Homes
- 1995-2002 Ford F53 Motor Home
With 11 attorneys and a support staff of nearly 40 employees, Carr & Carr Attorneys helps people with problems involving defective and recalled products, deadly car wrecks, wrongful deaths and insurance claim denials. The firms has offices in Oklahoma City and Tulsa, and Springdale in Northwest Arkansas. Contact Carr & Carr Attorneys at 1-800-777-4878.