Grand Rapids, MI (Vocus) March 27, 2010
Every 15 seconds, a burglary occurs in the United States. That’s why Foremost Insurance is providing simple steps to help keep the home secure during vacations.
“As we move into the spring and summer seasons, the number of burglaries tends to increase,” says Timothy Battersby, Inside Property and Liability Claims regional manager for HelpPoint® Claim Services serving Foremost®. “Not surprisingly, these are the seasons when many people take family vacations, leaving their homes unattended for a week or two at a time, and they become prime targets for burglars.” According to data from the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting Program, burglaries accounted for an estimated $4.6 billion in lost property in 2008, with an average individual loss of $2,079.
A home and its property are often a person’s greatest investments. That’s why it’s important to make sure everything’s secure. Foremost Insurance provides the following tips for safeguarding the home while on vacation.
1. Let trusted neighbors know the travel plans and ask them to keep on eye on the home.
2. Don’t announce travel plans on social networking sites like Twitter or Facebook.
3. Get someone to pick up the mail and newspaper, or stop those deliveries for the duration of the trip. A pile of papers on the front porch is an easy indicator that someone isn’t home.
4. Set outside lights so one stays on at night and put timers on indoor lighting set to go on and off at random intervals.
5. Don’t hide a spare key outside. Criminals have more experience finding spare keys than most people have hiding keys. If a key needs to be left somewhere, leave it with a trusted neighbor.
6. Trim any overgrown hedges and bushes back so thieves don’t have an easy place to hide.
7. Most importantly, lock up. A quality deadbolt lock is the first defense to keep an intruder from entering the home, but it only works when it’s used. In 2008, 32.3% of all burglaries occurred without forced entry into the home. Don’t just lock the doors, make sure all the windows are also closed and locked.
For more ways home safety tips, visit the safety section of Foremost.com.
Foremost Insurance Group is a single source for personal property and casualty and commercial insurance. A part of the Farmers Insurance Group of Companies®, Foremost has been a leader in the insurance industry since 1952. Foremost is headquartered in Caledonia, Michigan. To learn more about our products or share feedback, visit http://www.Foremost.com, our Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/foremostinsurance or our Twitter page at http://www.Twitter.com/foremost.