Houston, TX (PRWEB) February 21, 2008
Understanding the key steps to operating natural gas appliances in a safe and secure manner, as well as the proper maintenance to ensure powering a home with natural gas is as safe as possible, is an essential process for any new homeowner. GasGeorgia.com, an online marketplace for comparing and ordering natural gas service in Georgia, highlights the importance of new homeowners being thoroughly educated and feeling comfortable using natural gas at home in the safest possible manner.
GasGeorgia recommends the following steps be taken upon purchasing a new home powered with natural gas, as well as specific maintenance to ensure continued safety:
- Have a professional check all connections and valves on natural gas appliances.
- Check the vent hood, pipes and flues to ensure nothing is blocked, corroded or cracked.
- If homeowners choose to purchase additional natural gas appliances, call a professional to check that all connectors and valves are safe and secure, and that the appliances are working properly.
- Install carbon monoxide and smoke detectors in hallways outside of bedrooms. Check all detectors on a regular basis and replace the batteries at least twice per year.
- Find out the location of the gas shut-off valve. Never attempt to turn the valve back on after it has been shut off. Simply call a professional and allow them to handle the procedure properly.
- Check all air filters monthly.
- Keep combustible and flammable materials away from all appliances, and never store or stack items around an appliance.
- Never use a gas stove to heat a room, which could lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.
- If a gas odor is detected, leave immediately and contact the natural gas company that provides service, as well as the appropriate emergency services, from a safe location. Do not operate any appliances.
Remembering to maintain all appliances on a regular basis will help prevent many common malfunctions that could lead to serious safety issues. GasGeorgia recommends contacting a professional immediately if an appliance breaks down, a connector or piping cracks or is severely corroded, or if a natural gas odor is detected. The key for new home owners is having a professional check the condition of all appliances and their connections before moving in.
GasGeorgia is a free online service where Georgians can compare natural gas companies and order service for their homes. Customers can compare natural gas rate plans and prices from the top providers in Georgia, as well as switch and move their natural gas service without interruption. GasGeorgia is a member of the WhiteFence network.