Philadelphia, Pa. (Vocus) April 23, 2009
What: Representatives of media outlets are invited to attend as more than 200 persons from across the city of Philadelphia march from St. Jude's Church, at 38th and Wallace Streets to 34th and Wallace Streets, to participate in a rally to support the need for a fair trial for Gerald Washington, long-time resident of the Mantua Community, who, in the opinion of community leaders, has been unfairly incarcerated at Graterford State Correctional Institution. Mr. Washington has been an outstanding minority construction company owner over the past six years.
In addition to developing public awareness about Mr. Washington's circumstances, the event conveners, the African-American Fairness and Stimulus Coalition, will also address the following topics as part of the scheduled rally:
- The lack of a substantive "re-entry" program in Philadelphia for the tens of thousands of people - especially black males - who have a need for social and economic support upon their emergence from incarceration.
- The ongoing, disproportionately high lack of access to economic opportunity for residents of black, low-to-moderate income communities.
- The need for those who reside in such communities to be trained for, and be provided, primary access to jobs and contracts that become available in their own neighborhoods.
- The need for residents of those communities to become pro-active in ensuring that projects that exclude them are no longer allowed to move forward in their neighborhoods.
- James Allen, Mantua Leadership Council
- Andy Jenkins, Mantua Community Activist
- State Representative Ronald Watters, Chair, Pa State Legislative Black Caucus
- State Representative Vanessa Brown
- City Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell
- State Senator Vincent Hughes
- Rev. James Allen, Vine Memorial Baptist Church
- Rev. C. M. Edwards, St. Jude's Baptist Church
- Anthony Fullard, Technical Assistance Center for Emerging Contractors
- Steve Rawlinson, business owner, successful ex-offender
Saturday, April 25, 2009
March Begins: 12:00 noon
Rally Begins: 1:00pm
Start Point for the March: St. Jude's Baptist Church, 38th and Wallace Streets
Site for the Rally: 34th and Wallace Streets
A. Bruce Crawley
# # #