Are we literally eating our own trash through chemicals that that get into the fish we eat?
~ Anna Cummins, 5 Gyres Co-Founder
Santa Monica, CA (PRWEB) November 30, 2012
To prevent water pollution, the Goody Awards is launching a “Have a Green Plastic-Free Holiday” campaign (Thanksgiving-New Years) with 5 Gyres Institute. Along with giving social good awards, the Goody Awards builds awareness campaigns around issues and causes. For this marketing campaign, tips will be shared for how everyone can make a difference this holiday via multi-media (press release, social media, media, video, and contest), including this video: Ocean Heroes - The Plastic Problem - 5 Gyres (One World One Ocean).
This green holiday campaign is designed to extend the environmental awareness being raised by the Golden Goody Award (aka Oscar for social good) presentation to 5 Gyres Founder Anna Cummins at the UN Women's Greater Los Angeles Chapter event on December 8, 2012 (SGI Culture of Peace Center, 606 Wilshire Blvd., Santa Monica, CA). And because women decide on 85% of the consumer purchases in the US, this group is in a very powerful role to make change happen and preserve our precious resources.
Consumers are encouraged to think differently about plastic, and the Goody Awards is sponsoring a contest to help share and recognize those who take action taken. Everyone can help spread the word by tweeting what was done to help (tweet example: "Prevented plastic pollution by taking my own glass to our holiday party") with #EcoGoody to encourage others to take similar steps. The individual with the most tweets will receive a $100 cash gift that the Goody Awards will donate to the winner's charity of choice.
According to National Geographic, “For every six water bottles we use, only one makes it to the recycling bin. The rest are sent to landfills. Or, even worse, they end up as trash on the land and in rivers, lakes, and the ocean. Plastic bottles take many hundreds of years to disintegrate.” Based on input from 5 Gyres, calls to action will be shared via Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest for how to reduce the use of disposable plastics.
Below are the 15 Tips for a Green Plastic-Free Holiday developed by the Goody Awards and 5 Gyres Institute:
1. "Encourage your company to have a Green Plastic-Free Holiday Party"
2. "BYO - Bring your own utensils, cups, containers, and straws to holiday parties and gatherings"
3. "Instead of plastic, use washable plates, cups and utensils or paper / bamboo products that are easy to recycle or reuse"
4. "Use candles for mood lighting versus plastic lights"
5. "Reuse food containers for holiday leftovers"
6. "Buy plastic-free gifts – You can buy gifts from local artists with more sentimental meaning. You can also knit, cook or paint your own gift."
7. "Give away metal straws and reusable utensils as party favors/employee gifts to encourage everyday green habits"
8. "Give the gift of cash versus trash"
9. "Buy music gift certificates on iTunes vs. CDs"
10. "Make your own wrapping paper and use paper not synthetic ribbon
11. "Take your own cotton bag shopping to the grocery store, Best Buy, and department stores"
12. "Buy juice in a box carton versus a plastic bottle or make your own fresh fruit drinks using the farmer’s market fruit in a blender."
13. "Buy from bulk food bins at grocery stores like Whole Foods to avoid plastic packaging"
14. "Support local artists by buying gifts that are plastic-free."
15. "Bake cookies for tree decorations and pass on the tinsel."
After the holidays, everyone is encouraged to make New Years resolutions to continue these Green Plastic-Free Holiday tips. To buy tickets for the UN Women, Greater LA Committee Event on Dec 8th event, visit http://unwlaspecialassembly.wordpress.com/category/climate-change/.
Goody Awards - The Goody Awards does Social Good Awards via social media, special events and cause marketing campaigns in 4 key areas: women empowerment, health, environment, and education. To support causes and recognize good, the Goody Awards does pro bono PR for charities tied to Special Awards year-round. The Goody Awards mission is to inspire change by recognizing the good in the world. Anyone can tweet a shout out thank you at anytime via social media by including #HeroGoody #EcoGoody #TeamGoody #TeacherGoody and #GoodDeedGoody. CEO/Founder Liz H Kelly has built advertising campaigns and recognition programs for Fox Interactive Media/MySpace, Paramount Pictures, and the first Sprint PCS / Sprint Spectrum. Global Media Experts, Actors, Producers, Mobile Leaders and Philanthropists are on the Goody Awards Advisory Board. http://goodyawards.com