"...pay-per-click (PPC) advertisements account for the lion’s share of clicks by nearly a 2:1 margin"
Boston, MA (PRWEB) July 18, 2012
A new search marketing advertising study complied by WordStream Inc., a leading provider of search engine marketing software for small and medium-sized businesses, reveals that the sponsored PPC ad listings rack up 64.5% of the clicks on a Google search engine results page compared to just 35.4% going to the organic SEO listings, for keyword searches with high commercial intent in the US.
The full results of the new study on Google ads are published in infographic form.
The Value of High Commercial Intent Keywords
In search marketing, different types of keywords have different value to businesses. For example, high commercial intent keywords (such as “Best Toaster Oven”) and branded keyword searches (such as “Nikon D800”) are worth much more to businesses than pure informational keyword searches (such as “how many molecules in a mole”). While unpaid organic clicks still account for the majority of clicks for searches conducted on Google, the new study from WordStream is the first to illustrate that for the types keywords that are most valuable to businesses in the US, pay-per-click (PPC) advertisements account for the lion’s share of clicks by nearly a 2:1 margin.
New Google Advertising Innovations Driving Revenue Growth
New bigger, more engaging and more targeted sponsored ad formats that allow businesses to more precisely target prospective clients are behind the increases in CTR for high commercial intent keyword searches. For example:
- Click to Call Ads: This powerful mobile ad format lets customers call a business phone number with the click of a button.
- Bottom of Page Ads: Catch their attention before they click to page 2 or refine their search.
- Mega Site Links: This huge ad format offers up to 10 additional places to click, greatly increasing your chances of presenting a relevant link.
- Social Ad Extensions: Show who has +1'd your site, which lends credibility and potential name recognition.
- Remarketing: Allows companies to track site visitors with a cookie and chase them around the Web, displaying relevant banner ads until they click and convert.
- Map/Location Ad Extensions: Display your address and phone number to local searchers, enticing them to visit you faster. Advertise only to customers in the vicinity.
- Chat Ads: Prompt viewers to open a chat window with a sales guy – get those leads while they're hot!
- Email Ads: Prompt users to provide an email address right from the search result page.
The complete report is published online at: http://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2012/07/17/google-advertising
About WordStream, Inc.
WordStream Inc. provides PPC software to enable marketers to conduct better search advertising, including tools for better AdWords management, keyword research, and other ad software. WordStream won the 2012 MITX Innovation Award for Best Customer Engagement Driver for its AdWords Performance Grader. The AdWords Performance Grader shows businesses how their PPC accounts compare against other PPC marketers within similar ad spend brackets. By leveraging data aggregated from our proprietary database, the AdWords Performance Grader presents exclusive insights to users. For more information, please visit us at http://www.wordstream.com/
VP of Acquisition