“More parents want to learn how to incorporate healthy food choices,” said Halas-Liang, SuperKids Nutrition. “With Easter right around the corner, taking time to learn how to pack a healthy Easter basket is a great way to kick-start healthy eating.
Los Angeles, Calif. (PRWEB) March 23, 2010
Healthy lifestyles and kids’ nutrition have been consistently leading the headlines. From the health and nutrition movement championed by First Lady Michele Obama and schools to Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution television show and the many newly-released books, Americans are more aware than ever before about the importance of developing good eating habits.
With Easter rapidly approaching, stocking kids’ Easter baskets with healthy alternatives to chocolate and candy is a smart start to lead children down the path of healthier eating. While parents know it’s important to provide nutritional treats for their children, they may not understand how to do so. To help educate parents, kids and healthcare professionals, a mom that is also a registered dietitian created SuperKids Nutrition to offer expert tips and tools for healthy eating.
“More more parents and kids want to learn how to incorporate healthy food choices into their daily lives,” said Melissa Halas-Liang, SuperKids Nutrition founder. “With Easter right around the corner, taking the time to learn how to pack a health-conscious Easter basket is a perfect way to kick-start healthy eating habits."
Healthy Easter Basket Tips
SuperKids Nutrition is challenging parents and kids to jumpstart a healthy lifestyle change starting with healthier Easter baskets. To continue the nutritional challenge long after the holiday, superkidsnutrition.com offers free tips, tools and resources. The website empowers parents to build a healthy family through easy-to-read information, coloring pages, activities, recommended children’s book and more. Here are a few suggestions for creating a healthy Easter basket from SuperKids Nutrition.
Healthy, Sweet and Fun Easter Basket Ideas:
- Bunny Cupcakes – Bake or purchase whole grain carrot mini muffins – decorate with bunny cupcake toppers for extra fun.
- Mix-It-Up - Fill Easter eggs with sugar free gum, colorful Easter erasers, popcorn, stickers, Easter tattoos or trail mix with dried cranberries and golden raisins.
- Too Cute – Clementines will add a bold splash of spring color and are a sweet treat kids will love to eat. Mini red and green apples work well too.
- Frozen Fun – Freeze-dried fruit tastes just like candy – kids love bananas, mangos and apples. Be sure they brush their teeth afterwards.
- Egg Hunt - Replace egg-shaped chocolate with egg-shaped chalk. Place the chalk eggs in colorful mesh netting and tie with ribbon.
- Veg Out – Now that spring is here, inspire kids to grow a vegetable and herb garden by packing a garden tote (in place of a basket) with a seed kit, mini pots and kid-size gardening gloves and spade.
- Book-It – Include Easter coloring books and crayons as well as educational books teaching kids eating healthy can be fun. Super Baby Abigail’s Lunch Time Adventure is a neat read with a garden theme that will take children on a healthy eating journey with the Super Crew® kids.
“SuperKids Nutrition aims to empower children and families to reach their full potential by having the energy and good health needed to accomplish their life goals,” said Halas-Liang. “While providing information is important, I knew that it should also be fun for kids. As a result, we created the Super Crew® characters.”
Super Crew® Makes Healthy Eating Fun for Kids
To make learning about healthy eating fun for kids, Melissa created the Super Crew® characters, superhero kids who get powers from eating healthy foods of certain colors. Brought to life through the website, coloring pages and beautifully illustrated children’s books, the Super Crew® encourages kids to understand and value the importance of good nutrition. In addition to children books, the Super Crew® are featured in fun learning activities that can be downloaded on superkidsnutrition.com and deliver nutrition concepts in activities that also teach science, math, reading and fitness.
Havoc at Hillside Market and Super Baby Abigail’s Lunch Time Adventure are two books that feature the Super Crew®. The books offer adventures that engage children and come to life on the vibrant pages. In addition to the stories, each book provides parents with ideas on how to peak their child’s interest in learning about healthy nutrition and trying new foods. Books are available at superkidsnutrition.com.
About SuperKids Nutrition
SuperKids Nutrition Inc. was founded in August 2006 by Melissa Halas-Liang, MA, RD, CDE to save the world one healthy food at a timeTM. The SuperKids Nutrition team also represents a diverse, nationally recognized group of Registered Dietitians and nutrition professionals who specialize in childhood, school and family nutrition. The SuperKids Nutrition website, books and other educational resources are available to parents, teachers, and healthcare professionals looking for tools and information on eating healthfully and raising a healthy family. To learn more, visit http://www.superkidsnutrition.com.