Research shows protective eyewear could prevent 90% of the thousands of annual youth sports eye injuries. Use these simple tips to help get kids to put on protective eyewear and keep it on.
Valley View, Ohio (Vocus) May 7, 2010
Of the 2.5 million eye injuries that occur every year, children under 15 years of age account for nearly one-third of all hospital admissions for eye trauma and 43 percent of sports and recreational eye injuries overall. During May, which is Healthy Vision Month, Defog It antifog is emphasizing to parents, coaches and all adults the importance of protecting children’s eyes by following important safety tips.
“Research shows protective eyewear could prevent 90% of the thousands of annual youth sports eye injuries,” says Jodi Groh, Director of Marketing for Nanofilm, maker of Defog It antifog towelettes and liquid. “Use these simple tips to help get kids to put on protective eyewear and keep it on.”
- Choose protective eyewear that looks the part. Today there are often more fashionable choices in safety eyewear. Good looks may help children willingly wear their eyewear.
- Comfort is important. Eyewear that pinches the nose or straps that slip are handy excuses to put aside eyewear. Take the time to find something that really works.
- Make sure fogged eyewear isn’t a problem. Kids will want to take off their eyewear when athletic activity works up a sweat that causes fogging. Temperature can also play a role: the cold of a hockey rink or the July heat of a baseball diamond can cause fogging. An antifog treatment like Defog It can eliminate the problem.
- Do you need a strap? It will secure the eyewear during play and help keep them close by during downtime.
*Take the message to coaches, trainers, parents and boosters. It could be time to join the many schools and organizations that have an official recreational eye safety equipment program. Invite health providers or safety experts to explain the hazards and need.
- Include eye safety information at sign-ups for sports teams and day camps.
- Create a poster to distribute in gyms and sports facilities.
Defog It antifog urges all Americans to participate in National Eye Health Month, which is an outreach program of the National Eye Institute of the National Institutes of Health. There are a variety of educational and promotional materials available at the Healthy Vision 2010 website.
Defog It antifog towelettes and Defog It antifog liquid can provide all-day fog prevention on sports safety eyewear, eyeglasses, sunglasses, and other eyewear. Tested safe for all optics, the formula is used by the military around the world. Buy Defog It towelettes and liquid or find more information at http://www.defogitworks.com and 1-888-ENDS-FOG.
Nanofilm, founded in 1985, is the maker of Clarity Defog It™ and a global optical leader in lens care and coatings. Millions of people around the world use Nanofilm products, including Clarity Clean It™ and other lens care products, as well as nanotechnology-enabled coatings. More information is available at http://www.nanofilmproducts.com.