Manchester, UK (PRWEB) July 21, 2009
The problem of opportunistic thieves following residents in to flats or other gated communities has escalated over the past five years. Swinton believes that claims made following these burglaries are forcing the price of contents insurance premiums to rise.
Once inside secure outer doors, internal doors can sometimes as be weak, leaving them vulnerable to break-ins.
Swinton, the UK's leading high street retailer of home insurance, advises anyone living in flat or gated community to:
- Securely close and lock any outer doors as you enter or leave the premises
- Never hold open the door for a stranger
- Never 'buzz' anyone in unless you know them
- Notify the police if anyone is seen acting suspiciously
- Always keep doors locked, even when in the home
- Anyone could be a burglar, always be vigilant
Steve Chelton, Insurer Development Manager for Swinton, said: "Our research shows that tailgating burglaries are becoming increasingly common, especially as more and more flats are being built, particularly in city centres. The high value goods that people keep in these trendy apartments such as TVs and laptops make them a prime target for criminals.
"Anyone living in a flat or other secured gated area should be extra vigilant and not allow anyone on to the premise that they don't know. Keep an eye out for your neighbours' homes and report anyone acting suspiciously immediately."
For more information contact Michael Travers or Anoushka Foster at Manchester PR agency SKV Communications on 0161 838 7770.
- With 580 branches nationwide Swinton is the UK's largest high street insurance retailer
- Unlike many other companies in the financial services industry, Swinton is committed to keeping its branches open for business, and part of the community
- Swinton provides a one-stop-shop for the insurance and related needs of its clients, offering home, car, caravan, business, holiday, motorbike and even classic car insurance
- With a dedicated team of advisors on hand at every branch to search a panel of insurers to offer quality cover at competitive rates