With the freezing weather forecast, it is essential that homeowners plan ahead - especially to avoid frozen water pipes. Frozen pipes can cause misery and thousands of pounds worth of damage, but with a few simple steps they can easily be avoided. If you have been waiting to fix a leaky tap or insulate your piping, now's the time to do it.
Manchester, UK (PRWEB) March 7, 2009
Traditionally a time of warmer weather and the start of spring, March is instead set to bring freezing temperatures and possible snow for large parts of the UK.
Steve Chelton, head of Swinton's home insurance division, said: "With the freezing weather forecast, it is essential that homeowners plan ahead - especially to avoid frozen water pipes. Frozen pipes can cause misery and thousands of pounds worth of damage, but with a few simple steps they can easily be avoided. If you have been waiting to fix a leaky tap or insulate your piping, now's the time to do it."
Swinton home insurance warns not to be left out in the cold this March. If you're planning a trip away for the weekend before the big freeze:
- Ensure faulty dripping taps and faulty ball valves are repaired
- All pipes and tanks in the loft space, or anywhere else which may be liable to freezing, should to be lagged with good quality lagging
- Leave plugs in sinks to avoid dripping water freezing in pipes
- Don't switch your heating off, just turn it down to a lower heat or set a timer to avoid pipes freezing
- Leave loft doors ajar to allow warm air to circulate
- Keep the name and number of a plumber handy, ideally one registered with the Institute of Plumbing
If the cold weather catches you out and your pipes freeze:
- Turn off the stop tap as soon as possible to prevent further flooding
- Contact a plumber before drawing off any water to avoid damaging your hot water cylinder
- To quickly drain the water system, turn on all cold taps
- Make sure that no electrical appliances are used where they could be wet - turn off electricity supply if in doubt
- If pipes are still frozen, check that there are no splits or forced joints in the pipe. If there are none use a hot water bottle to apply gentle heat to the pipe, starting from an open tap
For more information contact Anoushka Foster, Michael Travers or Daniel Kennedy at Manchester PR agency SKV Communications on 0161 838 7770.
- With 580 branches nationwide Swinton is the UK's largest high street insurance retailer
- Unlike many other companies in the financial services industry, Swinton is committed to keeping its branches open for business, and part of the community
- Swinton provides a one-stop-shop for the insurance and related needs of its clients, offering home and contents, car, caravan, business, holiday, motorbike and even classic car insurance
- With a dedicated team of advisors on hand at every branch to search a panel of insurers to offer quality cover at competitive rates.
# # #