The power of these very popular global brands will be good for Scandinavia, as will our close working relationship with Marriott International and its 3,000 hotels worldwide.
Washington, DC (PRWEB) February 7, 2008
The Marriott International (NYSE:MAR) lodging presence in Scandinavia will include six hotels in Norway and Sweden by 2010, representing three brands, giving travelers a choice of accommodations at varying price points and offering distinctly different travel experiences. The hotels in Norway and Sweden are being developed under a recently announced multiple franchise agreement with Scandinavian Hospitality Group (SHG).
Included are the following luxury hotels representing Marriott's upscale, deluxe Marriott and
Renaissance brands and its upper moderately priced Courtyard by Marriott brand:
- 300-room Oslo International Airport Marriott Hotel, Norway (2009)
- 120-room Renaissance Malmoe Hotel located in the heart of Malmoe, Sweden (2009)
- 280-unit Trysill Marriott Ski Resort, Norway (2010)
- 310-unit Hemsedal Marriott Resort, Norway (2010)
Earlier, Marriott and SHG announced the following hotels in Norway and Sweden:
- 272-room Courtyard by Marriott Stockholm-Kungsholmen located in the western suburbs of Stockholm, Sweden (2009)
- 155-room Courtyard by Marriott Kristiansund International Airport, Norway (2009)
Marriott's agreement with SHG is expected to result in the opening of an initial 15 hotels in Norway, Sweden, and Finland by 2013, under the Marriott, Renaissance, Courtyard and Marriott Executive Apartments brand for extended stay travelers. Marriott's first hotel in Scandinavia is the Copenhagen Marriott that opened in 2001.
"We are very happy to be expanding in this region, and the hotels announced today, together with the Courtyards announced previously, will give us a major presence with our full-service, deluxe brands," said Gitta Brueckmann, regional vice president of sales and marketing for Marriott International in Continental Europe. "We look forward to the partnership with SHG and know that our brands, operated by SHG, will serve their markets well."
"The three Marriott hotels and resorts in Norway and the Renaissance in Stockholm, together with the two Courtyard hotels already announced, give us three of the strongest brands in the lodging industry, each serving different kinds of travelers," said Harald Jacobsen, SHG's president. "The power of these very popular global brands will be good for Scandinavia, as will our close working relationship with Marriott International and its 3,000 hotels worldwide."
Marriott's Champion Brands
Throughout the world, Marriott International brands stand for quality, performance and style.
- Marriott Hotels & Resorts is Marriott's flagship deluxe, upscale hotels brand. It focuses on inspiring its guests' best performance during travel. With almost 500 hotels worldwide, Marriott offers a modern-day approach to the classic hospitality that has made it a leading choice for travelers for more than 50 years. Hotels are full-service, with high standards in guest room comfort and technology, creative food and beverage operations, and best-in-the-business meeting facilities and services.
- Renaissance Hotels & Resorts branded hotels strive to keep life interesting for its guests during travel, offering stylish hotels and opportunities to explore each unique destination along with the attentive service of an upscale hotel. At more than 140 worldwide Renaissance locations, every moment adds up to an interesting stay that enriches one's journey. Renaissance hotels are also full-service, incorporating stylish architecture and interiors with modern furnishing and popular restaurants and bars.
- Courtyard by Marriott hotels are designed for business and leisure travelers who are motivated by success but also enjoy the break from routine that travel offers. At nearly 800 properties globally, it is Marriott's largest brand and ranks as the 13th largest hotel brand in the world. Courtyard guests put a premium on superior accommodations and functional, welcoming environments that enable them to focus on the business at hand.
- Marriott Executive Apartments (to be introduced to Scandinavia by SHG over the next six years) are upscale apartment-style hotels for business professionals seeking temporary housing for extended periods of time (30 nights or more). Marriott Executive Apartments offer studios to three-bedroom apartments in more than 15 locations, including such European locations as Prague, Budapest, Brussels and London. Marriott Executive Apartments deliver the comforts of home plus the indulgence of quality hotel services including around-the-clock hotel staffing, housekeeping and laundry services. The living areas offer fully equipped kitchens and dedicated work and relaxation area.
Courtyard by Marriott Project Details
The following two hotels were previously announced:
- The 272-room Courtyard by Marriott Stockholm-Kungsholmen will be part of a mixed-use project that includes about 350 residential apartments in the western suburbs of Stockholm. More than 300 companies are located in Kungsholmen, including the international headquarters of corporations such as Electrolux, Pharmacia and Ericsson. Well located within a short walk from the major leisure attractions of Stockholm and the Kungsholmen district, the hotel is easily accessible from Arlanda International Airport and Bromma Airport (domestic), via two subway lines connecting it to Stockholm's central business district within a five-minute train ride. For dining and entertainment, the hotel will have an all-day, casual restaurant, a lobby lounge and bar and a sports bar. Recreational amenities will focus on a fitness center. Business amenities will include an internet corner in the lobby. In addition, there will be a lobby Mini Market kiosk for travelers in a hurry. For social events and conferences, the Courtyard by Marriott Stockholm-Kungshomen will offer 9,598 square feet of function space including a 7,069-square foot ballroom that will be divisible into three sections and a 2,529 square feet of additional space in varying configurations.
- The 155-room Courtyard by Marriott Kristiansund International Airport will be connected to the airport via a covered walkway. Kristiansund's town center is approximately seven kilometers away. Located about 570 kilometers northwest of Oslo, Kristiansund is an important fishing port that in recent years has become a major oil and gas center. Shell, Statiol and Norsk Hydro all have office in the city. The United Kingdom, Finland, Germany, the Netherlands and Portugal all have consulates in Kristiansund. For dining and entertainment, the Courtyard by Marriott Kristiansund International Airport will have a casual, all-day restaurant and a lobby lounge/bar. Recreational amenities will include a fitness center. The hotel will also have an internet corner and a Mini Market kiosk. For social events and conferences, the hotel will have 9,405 square feet of function space. The 6,994-square foot ballroom will be divisible into three sections. Four additional meeting rooms totaling 2,411 square feet of space will also be available in varying configurations.
MARRIOTT INTERNATIONAL, INC. (NYSE: MAR) is a leading lodging company with more than 2,900 lodging properties in the United States and 67 other countries and territories. Marriott International operates and franchises hotels under the Marriott, JW Marriott, The Ritz-Carlton, Renaissance, Residence Inn, Courtyard, TownePlace Suites, Fairfield Inn, SpringHill Suites and Bulgari brand names; develops and operates vacation ownership resorts under the Marriott Vacation Club, Horizons by Marriott Vacation Club, The Ritz-Carlton Club and Grand Residences by Marriott brands; operates Marriott Executive Apartments; provides furnished corporate housing through its Marriott ExecuStay division; and operates conference centers. The company is headquartered in Bethesda, Md., and had approximately 151,000 employees at 2006 year-end. It is ranked as the lodging industry's most admired company and one of the best places to work for by FORTUNE®. The company is also a 2006 U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) ENERGY STAR® Partner. In fiscal year 2006, Marriott International reported sales from continuing operations of $12.2 billion. For more information or reservations, please visit our web site at http://www.marriott.com.
Scandinavian Hospitality Group is a hotel development, management and lodging company focused on the Scandinavian and Nordic counties; Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland. Scandinavian Hospitality Group will operate several Marriott branded properties under an Multiple Development Agreement with Marriott International, Inc. The company is 100% owned by Faktor Eiendom ASA (Oslo Stock Exchange: Faktor). The company is headquartered in Oslo, Norway. For more information, please visit our web site; http://www.faktoreiendom.no.