Prepare for each and every season regardless of the seasonal outlook. Even a near or below-normal season can produce landfall in hurricanes, and it only takes one land falling storm to make it a bad season.
Bedford Hills, NY (PRWEB) August 21, 2009
The federal government has predicted a "near normal" hurricane season for the Atlantic, with a 50% probability of a near-normal season, a 40% probability of a below-normal season, and a 10% probability of an above-normal season. Overall, forecasters expressed a greater degree of uncertainty this year than in previous years. SavATree, the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic leader in tree, shrub and lawn care, believes this makes the need to prepare for the possibility of a storm striking near you that much more essential.
Forecasters warn that the number of storms and their intensity are key determinants of property damage risk. According to storm damage experts, the biggest risk factors are who lives in harms way of a storm, and how well they have effectively prepared.
Gerry Bell, Ph.D., seasonal hurricane forecaster at The National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center, said, "Prepare for each and every season regardless of the seasonal outlook. Even a near or below-normal season can produce landfall in hurricanes, and it only takes one land falling storm to make it a bad season."
While hurricanes leave devastating effects, other types of storms can also have damaging and costly effects on homeowners. SavATree arborists often receive calls from homeowners with fallen trees on their homes as a result of a tumultuous storm. The Northeast U.S. has already seen some severe storms in 2009. Recently a storm ripped through lower Westchester County, NY, causing severe storm damage to many homes. Watch this storm damage video to see how SavATree arborists deal with storms in the Northeast US and New England areas.
A fallen tree can have numerous implications including safety issues, downed utilities, structural problems and emergency tree removal. As a homeowner, there are important steps you can take to prevent a situation like this from occurring before the damage is already done. Trees add so much to property value and our overall quality of life; therefore it is important to take certain steps to maintain their health and beauty. Regular inspection, pruning and fertilization are all critical in preventing future damage. Proactive tree care before a storm helps prevent future problems, the loss of precious landscape treasures, and expensive post storm costs.
Top 5 Tips from a SavATree ISA Certified Arborist on preventing storm damage:
- Prune overgrown canopies. In the event of heavy winds, a tree canopy can act as a sail. Proper tree pruning will allow wind to pass through the canopy easily and eliminate hazardous limbs
- Cable weak branch attachments. Cabling and bracing create artificial support to structurally weak or injured trees. These mechanical supports prevent injuries such as branch breakage, which inevitably lead to wood decay.
- Water & Fertilize. Keep trees as healthy as possible with timely watering and proper fertilization. Healthy, vigorous trees adjust more quickly to changes in the environment, are more wind firm, and react more effectively to damage.
- Remove hazardous trees. Tree removal can be avoided in some cases, particularly when a safe and reasonable alternative is available. However, if a tree is hazardous and cannot be saved, it is best to call in a certified professional to aid in the removal.
- Call a Certified Arborist. A qualified arborist can help you make an assessment regarding tree health and the likelihood of trees falling during a storm by conducting periodic inspections using sound diagnostic practices.
Some tree removals may require the use of specialized equipment from a certified professional. SavATree has developed a 14-point analysis to assess tree health which incorporates visual inspections as well as scientific data and diagnostic testing to measure problems which are not visible. SavATree's audit identifies tree failure signs including cracks in trunk or major limbs, hidden hollow or decayed areas, areas of bark scarring from stress, excessive dead wood, and root injury or decay. To find an expert in your area, or for additional information on a storm damage audit, please visit http://www.savatree.com/storm .
This premier tree, shrub and lawn care company has been providing environmentally sensible tree, shrub and lawn care to residents, businesses and historic properties for over 20 years. They currently operate in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Washington D.C. Industry certified arborists provide clients with expertise in tree care and help clients maintain a healthy, safe and beautiful landscape. Services include pruning, disease diagnosis, removal, insect and mite treatments, organic lawn care, integrated lawn care and more. SavATree is one of the few companies to receive the prestigious accreditation of the Tree Care Industry Association. For more information, please visit http://www.savatree.com .