Delray Beach, FL (PRWEB) December 8, 2009
NationalCreditReport.com, a leader in credit monitoring services, is warning customers to be on alert this holiday season and has produced a list of stolen wallet tips to help prevent identity theft. As shoppers are out, they must be cautions of their surroundings and remember not to carry all of their personal information with them. A common instance of losing a wallet is when customers set it down on a counter and walk away by mistake.
"It's important to remember that not all identity theft happens online. Traditional pick pocketing or the forgetfulness of people leaving their wallet somewhere still occurs even with the bad stories that friends share," said Samuel S. Ambrose, Vice President of Marketing and Operations at NationalCreditReport.com. "These stolen wallet tips are meant to help a victim know what the next steps are to ensure their identity isn't compromised and unwanted transactions don't take place."
Prior to experiencing potential identity theft:
- Make copies of all your credit cards and keep them in a safe place at home
- Do not carry your Social Security card in your wallet
- Itemize things you carry in your wallet
Most important Stolen Wallet Tips:
- Contact your bank including your credit card companies immediately
- File a police report to help you fight charges if any were made
- Order credit reports early to help dispute any errors
- Report stolen drivers licenses or ID cards to state departments
- Enroll in credit monitoring services
Since 2004, NationalCreditReport.com has specialized in providing a variety of free credit history reports and information to consumers to help protect them from identity theft. The credit monitoring services company helps people obtain the best interest rates for credit cards, auto loans and more by providing important information when they open an account based on credit history and offering free instant credit reports.