While the mobile arena is relatively nascent, it has fueled much of the growth in usage over the course of 2011. The entry of players with significant market presence has been critical in pushing mass adoption in mobile video calling.
Scottsdale, AZ (PRWEB) November 29, 2011
Video calling is a communication service that has become fairly common in the PC market but has recently expanded to other screens, including mobile devices and TVs. While many of the players cross over between screen-types, the dynamics in each market are quite unique. Still, all are expected to experience significant growth. New NPD In-Stat (http://www.in-stat.com) research forecasts the total number of active video calling users will surpass 380 million in 2015, a monumental increase from 63 million in 2010.
“While the mobile arena is relatively nascent, it has fueled much of the growth in usage over the course of 2011,” according to Amy Cravens, Senior Analyst. “The entry of players with significant market presence has been critical in pushing mass adoption in mobile video calling. Currently, the living room market is still quite small; however, In-Stat expects to see significant developments in this market in the coming years.”
Key analysis includes:
- PC video calling will continue to account for the majority of video calling minutes throughout the forecast period.
- Skype is the market leader in video calling solutions across screen types: PC, mobile, and TV.
- Integration with other applications, particularly social networking, will be a significant market driver.
- Active usage rates vary significantly across screen types.
New NPD In-Stat research, Video Calling Across Screen Types: PC, Mobile, and Living Room (#IN1105253MCM), provides an end-to-end review of the video calling market from screen type through end-user survey results of usage data. In addition, this latest research provides the following:
- Consumer usage patterns by screen type including adoption, frequency, and duration of call
- Relevance of distribution models by screen type and significant relationships
- Analysis of market drivers and barriers
- Impact of other communication applications, such as social networking,
- Forecast of active users and minutes of usage by screen type and region
- Profile of leading and emerging video calling providers including, AOL AV, Apple FaceTime, fring, Google Chat and Hangouts, Microsoft Kinect, ooVoo, Raketu, Skype, and Tango
- Title: Video Calling Across Screen Types: PC, Mobile, and Living Room
- Service: Mobile Applications & Services
- Product Number: IN1105253MCM
- Publication Date: November 2011
- Number of Pages: 52
- Price: $3,995
- Table of Contents, Figures & Tables
- Members Only Access: Excel, PDF
- Contact a Sales Representative
About NPD In-Stat
With nearly 30 years of history in research and consulting, NPD In-Stat’s market intelligence combines technical, market and end-user research and database models to analyze the Mobile Internet and Digital Entertainment ecosystems. The company’s insights are derived from a deep understanding of technology impacts and direct relationships with leading players in each of its core markets. NPD In-Stat provides its research through reports, annual subscriptions, consulting and advisory services to inform customers to make critical decisions. Technology vendors, equipment manufacturers, service providers and media companies worldwide rely on NPD In-Stat to support critical business, product and technology decisions. For more information on NPD In-Stat, visit http://www.instat.com.
About The NPD Group, Inc.
The NPD Group is the leading provider of reliable and comprehensive consumer and retail information for a wide range of industries. Today, more than 1,800 manufacturers, retailers, and service companies rely on NPD to help them drive critical business decisions at the global, national, and local market levels. NPD helps our clients to identify new business opportunities and guide product development, marketing, sales, merchandising, and other functions. Information is available for the following industry sectors: automotive, beauty, commercial technology, consumer technology, entertainment, fashion, food and beverage, foodservice, home, office supplies, software, sports, toys, and wireless. For more information, contact us or visit http://www.npd.com and http://www.npdgroupblog.com. Follow us on Twitter at @npdtech and @npdgroup.
Rick Vogelei, Marketing Manager
Email: rvogelei(at)in-stat(dot)com; Phone: (480) 483-4476
# # #