Employers might just be facing the perfect storm here in California
San Francisco, California (PRWEB) February 23, 2009
By popular demand Collabrus will be hosting another executive briefing on March 26th in Mountain View, California. The program is titled: "Are You Gambling with Independent Contractor Compliance?" and is geared towards senior executives and managers who are involved with the use of contingent labor and want to mitigate their risks.
Using Independent Contractors has become a vital component of workforce planning in today's marketplace. But this contingent workforce can expose organizations to significant risk. The IRS, EDD and numerous other government agencies have made tracking down misclassified Independent Contractors a top priority. Their motivation is to close what they call the "Tax Gap" - the estimated $35 billion per year in income taxes and unpaid employment taxes that are not collected due to the misclassification of workers. The combined back taxes, penalties and interest a company may face for violations can reach into the millions of dollars.
"Employers might just be facing the perfect storm here in California," said Dorinda Parker, General Manager of Collabrus. "The combination of highly compensated independent contractors, resource-starved regulatory agencies, and a volatile job market make this a perilous time for companies that use contingent labor. We're finding that many executives want to learn about solutions which enable them to mitigate their risks and lower the costs associated with using contingent labor."
The event is tailored to senior executives in Human Resources, Finance, Procurement, and Legal from Silicon Valley companies who use contingent labor. At the briefing attendees will learn:
- Why the IRS and state enforcement agencies are becoming more aggressive in their investigations of worker misclassification
- The 5 most dangerous assumptions of using Independent Contractors and how to avoid them
- The most common triggers for a compliance audit and the potential financial implications if you are audited
- Critical facts about California's budget crisis and the proposed new legislation that could directly affect your company's bottom line
- Simple steps you can take to mitigate the risks involved with using Independent Contractors in your business
The featured speaker will be Walter Branam who has over 30 years experience working with tax and labor issues through his audit and management work at the California Employment Development Department (EDD). As a former Tax Auditor, Tax Administrator, EDD's first Taxpayer Rights Advocate and designer of the EDD's Settlement Program, Walt's knowledge of Federal and State employment laws, regulations, and audit criteria provides valuable insight into how to prevent worker misclassification. Walt has been a keynote speaker with the California Bar Association, Committee on Taxation, and a highly requested speaker by numerous professional groups. Walt brings his expertise to the private sector as the in-house Specialist for Compliance Services at Collabrus Inc.
- Who: Human Resources, Finance, Procurement, Legal executives at Silicon Valley companies who use contingent labor
- What: Complimentary breakfast briefing that will educate you on the issues and solutions, including a Q&;A session with our worldclass compliance expert
- When: Thursday, March 26th, 2009. 8:30 - 10:00am, Breakfast served at 8:00am
- Where: The Computer History Museum, 1401 N Shoreline Blvd, Mountain View, CA
- RSVP: If you are interested in attending this briefing please contact: Melaina Brown, 415-391-1038 x276, mbrown (at) collabrus (dot) com
- This briefing has been qualified for 1.5 hours of HRCI credits.
- There is no cost to attend, but space is limited, so make sure you sign up early.
About Collabrus, Inc.
Collabrus provides its clients with a comprehensive suite of contingent workforce management services designed to optimize their workforce spend and mitigate risk. Services include professional-level pay and benefits for contract employees, worker qualification and contract administration for Independent Contractors, and end-to-end outsourced managed solutions. Collabrus' tailored programs enable progressive companies to make the contingent workforce a key asset in their overall talent strategy. For more information visit: http://www.collabrus.com
# # #