Montreal, Canada (PRWEB) January 17, 2012
itravel2000, a Travelzest company, and leading Canadian online travel retailer, has listed top 12 destinations for the year 2012, based on the online booking trends and consumer inquiries for 2012.
The list reveals a distinct interest in emerging destinations compared to last year. Traditional destinations such as Varadero and Orlando still feature, but destinations such as Aruba, Panama City and St Maarten have caught the attention of Canadian travellers this year. The top 12 destinations for 2012 are listed below:
1. Riviera Maya: Riviera Maya’s geographic proximity to Canada and good availability of flights make it a choice of many Canadian travellers. It remains a preferred destination among families and lovers of light eco-adventures.
2. Varadero: Varadero is known for its beaches and hospitality. There are dozens of flights a week from Canada to Varadero, which makes it all the more favourable to visit.
3. Punta Cana: Punta Cana, a reasonably-priced tropical getaway, is a favoured Caribbean destination for its great beaches, golf courses and resorts.
4. Cancun: A favourite for over 35 years, Cancun continues to be a preferred Mexican destination of many Canadians with its great eco-parks, watersports, golf courses, Mayan ruins and many more offerings.
5. Montego Bay: Montego Bay, host to the island's busiest airport, is set to welcome many Canadians this year. New hotel development in the major Jamaican cities of Negril, Montego Bay and Ocho Rios also marks Jamaica's growing popularity as a whole.
6. Puerto Vallarta: One of Mexico's most sophisticated destinations, Puerto Vallarta remains a tourist favourite because of its great beaches and eco-tourism opportunities.
7. Orlando: Orlando is in the limelight as a host to the 61st NBA All-Star Game in February. Its other attractions such as the theme parks, lakes, museums and picturesque neighbourhoods continue to draw tourists.
8. Costa Rica: Costa Rica is a favourite among travellers for its beaches, eco-adventures, tropical golfing environment and culture.
9. Nassau: Nassau, with direct short-duration flights from Canada, is a preferred destination with its laid-back Bahamian lifestyle, sandy beaches and great activity options.
10. Aruba: The most popular of the ABC islands- Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao, Aruba is one of Canadians' most desired Caribbean destinations because of its great beaches, resorts and hospitality.
11. Panama City: The booming city is set to upgrade many things - hotels, museums, and even its famous canal. The newest additions to the city are Panamera, the first Waldorf Astoria hotel in Latin America, and an innovative natural history museum called BioMuseo. And, Canadians are all set to explore them!
12. St Maarten: Known as “the friendly island”, St Maarten is well-known for its over 35 beaches. Canadian travellers will be making the most of the direct flights from Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary and Halifax.
Jonathan Carroll, President of itravel2000, and CEO of Travelzest, commented:
“We are seeing an interesting turn in consumer travel patterns this winter season. Though traditional destinations such as Orlando, Cancun and Riviera Maya have remained favourites, many Canadians are booking their travels to emerging destinations like Aruba and St Maarten as well. It is great to see the shift, and we look forward to providing consumers with the best value on their travels.”