When people lose their jobs, it's a devastating experience no matter how tactfully they were told they were no longer needed.
(PRWEB) October 31, 2012
As the challenging economic climate continues to unfolds and millions of people find themselves job hunting due to layoffs and other factors beyond their control, Sherry Tingley, founder of Coolchecks.net and principal writer of her popular personal finance and money management blog, has some timely advice for job seekers of all ages.
“When people lose their jobs, it’s a devastating experience no matter how tactfully they were told they were no longer needed,” states Tingley. “The life they once knew as financially and emotional secure has been ripped away. According to many sources this loss is similar in intensity to a divorce or death.”
In her latest blog, Tingley advises that job hunters keep the following 10 things in mind:
1. Find at least one reason to be grateful.
2. Dress each day as if they were headed to an interview.
3. Look for opportunities to have face-to-face interviews.
4. Tell as many people as possible that they’re job hunting.
5. Be ready to sell a potential employer on their personal skills and abilities.
6. Stick to a schedule, and treat job hunting as a job in itself.
7. Have a great resume that focuses on accomplishments and is scannable both by computer software and busy HR personnel.
8. Steer clear of an “objective” section of a resume – employers care about what they want, not necessarily what their employees want.
9. Even a less-than-stellar resume can be overcome by people who know how to effectively sell themselves to potential employers.
10. Research all prospective employers, their industries, trends, competitive framework and more.
Adds Tingley: “Loosing a job is difficult. Hang in there and keep your spirits up. Often, when one door closes, another door is opened.”
Tingley’s full blog post entitled “10 Quick Tips for Job Hunting after being Laid Off” is available at http://www.coolchecks.net/blog/searching-for-jobs/job-hunting-tips.html.
For more information or media inquiries, contact Sherry Tingley at
sherry(at)coolchecks(dot)net or 801-599-0052.
Led by its Founder Sherry Tingley, Coolchecks.net offers a wide selection of business checks from several leading check printing companies. The company’s small business, personal finance and money management blog features a wide selection of practical articles, advice, insights and tools for small business owners and individuals. Learn more at http://www.coolchecks.net.