Burlington, Mass (Vocus) January 7, 2009
KEMA's (http://www.kema.com) Ralph Masiello has been named a board member of the GridWise Alliance, a consortium of public and private stakeholders aligned around a shared vision of a fully integrated electric system. One of his first contributions as a board member was to lead an analysis of the number of jobs created by government investment in the smart grid deployment.
KEMA joined the GridWise Alliance in April 2008. The firm is contributing its insight and expertise in electric utility-based smart grid technologies, processes and projects to help the Alliance develop national and local policies necessary for modernizing the nation's electrical grid system. Dr. Masiello was elected to the Alliance's board in December 2008. He is senior vice president, energy systems consulting with KEMA as well as one of the firm's global innovation managers. He is also principal author of KEMA's recent book, Utility of the Future: Enhancing Sustainability, Reliability and Profitability, Volume 1 (http://www.kema.com/utility_future).
President-Elect Obama's transition team asked the GridWise Alliance to project the number of jobs that would be created by government investment in the deployment of a smart grid. Masiello agreed to prepare an analysis on behalf of the Alliance. The report, The U.S. Smart Grid Revolution: KEMA's Perspective for Job Creation, has been issued by the Alliance and is available at: http://www.kema.com/consulting_services/cross_sector/INC/smart_grid_revolution_whitepaper/index.asp.
During the next four years, KEMA's projection anticipates that a potential disbursement of $16 billion in Smart Grid incentives would:
- Act as a catalyst in driving associated Smart Grid projects worth $64 billion.
- Result in the direct creation of approximately 280,000 new positions across various categories in the United States, of which more than 150,000 will be created by the end of 2009.
- Create nearly 140,000 new direct jobs that would persist beyond the Smart Grid deployment as permanent, on-going high-value positions.
Founded in 1927, KEMA is a global provider of business and technical consulting, operational support, measurement and inspection, testing and certification for the energy and utility industry. KEMA employs more than 1,700 professionals in 20 countries. The firm's North American consulting operations (KEMA, Inc.) are headquartered in Burlington, Massachusetts. KEMA's global headquarters are in Arnhem, the Netherlands with offices worldwide.
KEMA media relations contacts:
- North America: Kristen Brewitt (kristen.brewitt (at) kema.com); tel +1 781 418 5714
- Europe: Rolf van Stenus (rolf.vanstenus (at) kema.com); tel +31 26 3 56 2607