Starting a Kids to Kids club at your school is a great way to help other kids around the world and to help yourself at the same time
Waltham, Mass. (Vocus) September 13, 2010
Kids to Kids, a program of World Connect that provides opportunities for kids to be kids around the world, today announced its fall club drive. More than 650 Kids to Kids members across the U.S. are already raising money and awareness in their schools and neighborhoods about kids living in underserved communities around the world. Through their efforts, Kids to Kids has funded more than 300 projects in eight countries reaching more than 30,000 kids but there’s much more for others to do.
“Starting a Kids to Kids club at your school is a great way to help other kids around the world and to help yourself at the same time,” said Patrick Higdon, Kids to Kids program coordinator. “It’s fun, easy and extremely gratifying to raise a little money and see the dramatic impact it can have on kids in need. We think every school should have a club.”
A Kids to Kids Club can be created by any kid at any school. Lauren, a 15-year-old student from St. Mary Bay View Academy, in Riverside, RI started a Kids to Kids Club at her school in 2009. Since then, she has raised more than $4,000, enough to support eight Kids to Kids grants. One of Lauren’s fundraisers in middle school was a dress down day, which allowed students to trade in their uniforms for casual clothes for a day for a $2 donation. Lauren also went the extra mile and found companies to match student donations.
Examples of recently funded Kids to Kids projects:
- Drawing Your Dreams - allowed 100 kids in the Dominican Republic to participate in art activities that exposed them to new and creative ways of thinking
- Creative Computer Lab - provided computer access to 65 students from El Salvador, narrowing the technology gap and giving them skills to find jobs
- Art for Peace - used poetry, painting and drawing, singing, theatre and other types of art to promote better communication and to help resolve conflict without violence
How to Create a Kids to Kids Club
- Find a faculty sponsor
- Get your friends to help
- Learn about underserved kids around the world and decide how you want to raise money
- Spread the word and encourage classmates to pledge their support
- Plan regular meetings to brainstorm activities
- Hold your fundraiser
For step-by-step instructions, go to http://www.kidstokids.org/start-a-club.php
About Kids to Kids
World Connect’s youth-led Kids to Kids Program empowers local leaders in underserved communities to solve local problems affecting kids. Founded by four middle school girls in Massachusetts, Kids to Kids encourages grassroots fundraising by kids in the US for youth arts, sports, education and environmental projects. The connections built by Kids to Kids create a new generation of leaders and global citizens. To date, Kids to Kids has reached more than 30,000 kids by providing micro-grants at the community level in Belize, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Mali, Morocco, Peru, Philippines and Rwanda. Learn more about the Kids to Kids Program and how it is creating opportunities for kids everywhere at http://www.kidstokids.org.