The winners of the K’NEXpert Classroom Challenge amazed me with models displaying both creativity and logic
Hatfield, PA (PRWEB) May 17, 2011
K’NEX Brands, America’s only building toy company focused on Building Worlds Kids Love™, has chosen the winners of its 2011 K’NEXpert Classroom Challenge. The nationwide building contest offers elementary school students the opportunity to compete against classrooms at the same grade level in building a model made entirely of K’NEX parts based on a specific, age-appropriate building challenge for a chance to win great prizes.
This year the building challenges for each grade level were: Grades 1-2, create a house for a teddy bear; Grades 3-4, build a tower that can support a softball; and Grades 5-6, recreate the rescue of the Chilean miners. After building their model, the students were asked to write a 1-page description of their creation to be submitted along with photos to the K’NEX judging panel.
This year’s winners by grade level are:
- Grade 1 – CH Homeschool, which created a house for a teddy bear that included windows, shutters, and a motorized fan.
- Grade 2 – Grace Homeschool whose ornate house for a teddy bear featured a garage, deck, fireplace and two floors.
- Grade 3 – Central Park School for Children who designed and built a working elevator using a pulley system with a counterweight as part of their tower.
- Grade 4 – Tyndall Youth Center which built a replica of the Twin Towers measuring over 5 feet and including wheels for transportation.
- Grade 5 – Riverbend Elementary School whose crane and capsule were created to closely mirror the equipment used in the rescue of the Chilean miners.
- Grade 6 – Glenfield Middle School which used a motor and created a pulley, stand and capsule to recreate the rescue of the miners.
“The winners of the K’NEXpert Classroom Challenge amazed me with models displaying both creativity and logic,” said Michael Araten, president and CEO of K’NEX: “If their problem-solving skills are any indication -- the future is in good hands.”
The winning classrooms in each grade level receive several prizes including a $350 shopping spree on knex.com and a free K’NEX building set for every child in the class.
About K’NEX Brands
Founded in 1992, K’NEX Brands, the world’s most innovative construction toy company, was established to make and sell what has become one of the world’s leading integrated construction systems for children. Winner of over 200 international awards and recognitions, K’NEX is America’s building toy company focused on Building Worlds Kids Love, and encourages youngsters to “imagine, build and play.” Since 1992, The Rodon Group, a subsidiary of K'NEX Brands, L.P., has manufactured over 30 billion parts for the K'NEX building toy system. For more information, please visit http://www.knex.com or http://www.rodongroup.com.