San Francisco, CA (Vocus) November 17, 2010
Vizu Corporation (http://www.brandlift.com), a San Francisco-based company providing a real-time online brand ad effectiveness platform to advertisers and publishers, today announced its support of new research exploring the relevance of metrics used to measure the effectiveness of online video advertising.
“This research, which makes a key distinction between progress metrics and performance metrics, highlights a dynamic that we hear quite often from brand advertisers,” said Dan Beltramo, CEO of Vizu. “Whether it is video or other forms of brand advertising, advertisers are ultimately looking for proof that they have generated Brand Lift against their primary marketing objective. While metrics such as time viewing and completion rates are valid progress metrics, the advertiser ultimately wants to know if they effectively drove a Brand Lift metric, such as increased awareness or purchase intent, in order to justify continued investment.”
Leading brands, agencies, ad networks, and publishers leverage Vizu’s Ad Catalyst solution, part of the company’s brand advertising effectiveness platform, to measure and optimize the effectiveness of online video and display brand advertising efforts in real time. Ad Catalyst measures the Brand Lift generated by online advertising campaigns, replacing click-through rates with a much more appropriate metric for brand advertisers. As Brand Lift data is available in real time, it also enables in-market optimization of campaigns. Leveraging an intuitive dashboard, the contribution of different creative, messages, targeting, and frequency to overall campaign performance can quickly be evaluated and adjustments made that ensure both Brand Lift and return on advertising spend are maximized.
The eMarketer report, Measuring Video Ads: Metrics for Brand Marketers, interviewed several thought leaders in the space who brought a variety of perspectives to the research - including that of brands, agencies, publishers, and technology vendors - and summarized their input into key themes around challenges and opportunities facing brand marketers in the online video advertising ecosystem. Key excerpts from the report include:
- “Progress metrics are not an end in themselves, although marketers still get caught up in the reams of data that come from ad servers.” --David Hallerman, Principal Analyst, eMarketer
- “What can be frustrating is how taking any metric individually can feel kind of empty. That’s like when you have completion rates or starts and stops, but without having insight into the audience.” --Mary Shirley, Director of Client Services, Horizon Media
- “Viewing to completion is a red herring – that’s just a signal, but it can be misleading. The real question: Did it make an impact on the viewer?” --Jason Krebs, Executive Vice President, ScanScout
- “Survey-based [performance] measurement offers brand marketers insight into their video advertising that is useful for gauging what happened as well as for planning.” --David Hallerman, Principal Analyst, eMarketer
- “Since a lot of our clients are focused on branding, we had to hold ourselves to metrics beyond conversion. We needed to find ways to measure awareness and favorability.” --Mary Shirley, Director of Client Services, Horizon Media
“By providing a technology platform that allows our customers to measure and optimize the appropriate performance metric - Brand Lift - we hope to create a more relevant conversation around what actually constitutes effective brand advertising in the online medium,” added Beltramo.
The report can be downloaded in its entirety at http://www.emarketer.com/Reports/All/Emarketer_2000713.aspx
About Vizu Corporation
Vizu Corporation (http://www.brandlift.com) provides a technology platform that allows brands, advertising and media agencies, online publishers, and ad networks to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the online brand building process. Vizu’s brand advertising effectiveness platform is used to measure and optimize online brand advertising campaigns in real-time, and supports all key processes in the advertising lifecycle, including audience profiling, targeting, creative testing, campaign measurement, and optimization. For more information about Vizu, please visit http://www.brandlift.com.
# # #