Knowing the ways in which an affair can be hidden can be key in discovering the affair and catching the cheater red handed
Houston, TX (PRWEB) February 02, 2012
McCann E-Investigations(McCann EI) Houston Computer Forensics Division announces publication of article – 25 Ways Cheaters Hide their Affair on an iPhone. Mobile devices would be key in communications between an unfaithful spouse or significant other. Technology has created mobile devices that are essentially gateways for information (internet) and communication (email, social media, texting, etc.). iPhones in particular are used by many consumers as their smartphone of choice. iPhones are in essence, hand-held computers – similar to a laptop or PC. As with all computers, digital evidence of infidelity is logged and stored. Even if the texts, pictures or emails were deleted, they are often recoverable with the right tools.
“Knowing the ways in which an affair can be hidden can be key in discovering the affair and catching the cheater red handed.” said Dan Weiss, Partner at McCann E-Investigations.”
The 25 ways in which to hide the digital evidence of an illicit affair are as follows:
1. Create a new email account that is only used to communicate with their lover.
2. Check their email communications with their lover through webmail and not iPhone email.
3. Doesn’t save or have their iPhone remember their password or email address/log-in name for their communications with their lover.
4. Delete links or "bookmark" to any web mail page used to communicate with their lover.
5. Change their wireless phone bill to “paperless billing” to hide communications with their lover.
6. Use 3rd party app for SMS / text messages so text does not show up on phone bill or online detail.
7. Save name of lover as false name and gender so calls to / from that person are less suspicious.
8. Use 3rd party dialer like Skype or Google voice to make and receive phone calls so they will not show up on phone bill or online usage detail.
9. If using iPhone email to send / receive email, they can go to Settings -> Mail -> Account to enable mail for their lover when they want to check it, then disable mail when they are done so that account won't show up in their list of mail accounts or "All Inboxes", but it will still retain their settings and emails.
10. Disable location services to make it more difficult to be tracked. With location services enabled, certain web sites and apps can determine their location and pictures they take on their iPhone will have the GPS coordinate information embedded in them which can show that they are not where they said they were.
11. Clearing their map/GPS history and directions history for locations they are going to with or meeting their lover.
12. Closing all web page tabs for web sites relating to their lover as soon as they are done with the page.
13. Clearing their internet history and cache for web sites they visited for their lover.
14. Clearing their call history for calls made to and from their lover as well as the calls made to the hotels, restaurants, travel agents, yacht rentals, etc.
15. Clearing their text/SMS history with their lover. If their lover is their spouse's best friend or other person that they would be expected to have casual contact with the iPhone lets they selectively delete specific text messages.
16. Use their iPhone calendar to set up fake work-related or other non-suspicious appointments or meetings to give they an alibi to meet their lover
17. Use one of the many iPhone apps like "Fake Caller" to simulate an incoming call from their boss or co-worker where they will need to meet they at the same location where their lover will happen to be
18. Having their pass code set on their iPhone so if it falls into the wrong hands their phone will be locked and their information will be more secure.
19. Having their pass code set to auto-lock after a specified time.
20. Having their pass code “Erase Data” feature enabled which will erase their iPhone data if the wrong pass code is entered 10 times in a row.
21. If they sync their iPhone to their computer or use iTunes to transfer music to their iPhone, they can encrypt the iPhone backups that iTunes creates.
22. They can turn off the auto-preview for text messages, otherwise the content of the message or inappropriate pictures could show up on top of their passcode screen.
About McCann EI:
Follow McCann EI on Twitter: @McCannEI
Like McCann EI on Facebook
Call us toll-free at 800-713-7670
McCann EI's Texas-based digital forensics team provides a one stop solution for your Electronically Stored Information (ESI) investigative needs. McCann EI's computer forensics, digital forensics, mobile forensics, and electronic discovery investigators serve law firms, private industry, and government with the same dedication and expertise that has had clients turning to McCann for over 25 years.
Regardless whether your ESI is trapped in personal, corporate, mobile, or network drives, McCann EI's computer forensics team is experienced in electronic discovery and recovering your digital files. Our investigators have the experience to provide expert witness computer forensic testimony in courts across Texas. McCann EI services Companies, Law Firms, and Individuals Statewide. Call us toll-free at 800-713-7670 or our Local Offices Austin Computer Forensics: 512-377-6142 Houston Computer Forensics: 832-628-4904 Dallas Computer Forensics: 214-329-9059 Lubbock Computer Forensics: 806-589-0320 Lufkin Computer Forensics: 936-585-4070 Brownsville Computer Forensics: 956-465-0849
Malisa Vincenti, Marketing Manager