(PRWEB) March 09, 2012
Clapper Patti Schweizer & Mason (CPSM), mesothelioma lawyers in California, have represented construction workers and electricians from all over the United States who developed or died from mesothelioma after deadly exposure to asbestos while on the job. Electricians are an often overlooked group that is at high risk of occupational exposure to asbestos. Last week, CPSM added essential information to their website for specifically for electricians in hopes that this would help prevent unwanted exposure and protect those working in this profession.
Electricians are at a higher risk of exposure because they not only have to deal with construction materials but also electrical products likely to contain asbestos. Many electricians are called in for repairs or during renovations of older homes. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, almost every physical structure built before 1980 contains asbestos materials, putting electricians who work in such environments at risk of daily exposure, often in tight and confined spaces.
Electrical work almost always involves drilling and/or removing parts of a building to access and repair/replace the existing electrical system. Asbestos is commonly found in walls, floors, ceilings and roofs – the places electricians commonly have to disturb in order to get to the area they need to work. Electricians are most likely to encounter asbestos in the following products:
- Ceiling tiles
- Cement siding
- Cement wallboard
- Circuit breakers
- Electrical cloth
- Electrical panel partitions
- Insulation- wall, wiring, heating units, hot water tanks, boiler, etc.
- Spackling compounds
- Thermal paper
Even today, with all the knowledge about the dangers of asbestos, many electricians do not adequately protect themselves from deadly exposure on the job, creating a much higher risk of mesothelioma.
Mesothelioma is caused by inhaling microscopic airborne asbestos fibers, which then lodge in the lining of the internal organs of the body. Years after the time of exposure, these fibers develop into tumors and cause a fatal type of asbestos cancer called mesothelioma or irreversible scarring of the lungs known as asbestosis.
The mesothelioma attorneys at Clapper Patti Schweizer & Mason have updated their website for electricians as part of their mission to provide safety information for those who work in occupations that remain at risk of asbestos exposure. Electricians in particular are urged to educate themselves and take the highest amount of precaution, both for themselves and to ensure they do not carry toxic fibers home on their body or clothing and unwittingly expose their family members.
If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, contact CPSM today to speak directly with an asbestos attorney as well as to get access to up-to-date mesothelioma treatment information.
About Clapper Patti Schweizer & Mason
CPSM fights for the rights of individuals who have been diagnosed with mesothelioma as a result of exposure to asbestos. CPSM focuses exclusively on handling mesothelioma lawsuits, representing clients nationwide for more than 30 years. With such experience, CPSM has expert knowledge of not only the asbestos industry but also how to get the maximum recovery for clients with the least interruption to their lives in the shortest amount of time. Call today 1-800-440-4262.