The dramatic results produced by ERr 731, the key active ingredient in Estrovera, outpace other natural approaches available today*
San Clemente, CA (Vocus) March 16, 2010
Metagenics, Inc. announced today that it is the exclusive North American distributor of Estrovera, an all-natural dietary supplement formulated to address the needs of menopausal women. The key active ingredient in Estrovera is ERr 731®, an extensively-researched, special phytoestrogen extract of Siberian rhubarb root that has been shown to:
- Reduce the number and severity of menopausal hot flashes on a par with an ultra low dose hormone therapy but without the potential adverse effects of hormone therapy*
- Significantly reduce the number and severity of menopausal hot flashes and night sweats compared to placebo*
- Relieve a wide range of other menopausal symptoms including sleep disturbances, poor mood, physical and emotional exhaustion, joint and muscle complaints, and urogenital symptoms*
- Be free of any forms of estrogen*
- Be well-tolerated and safe for long-term use*
Extensive Clinical Research
ERr 731 was first introduced in 1993 in Germany, where it continues to be widely recommended by health care providers. It is one of the most thoroughly researched natural compounds for managing menopausal symptoms. The clinical studies on ERr 731 include:
- Two 12-week multicenter, prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, clinical studies
- A 2-year open observational study to determine long-term efficacy and safe use
- A 6-month prospective post-marketing surveillance study conducted at 70 gynecological centers
In a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of 112 perimenopausal women with menopausal symptoms, subjects who took just 4 mg of ERr 731 (equivalent to one Estrovera tablet) daily for 12 weeks experienced:
- Statistically significant reduction in hot flashes per day (12 at baseline and 2 at study end) vs. placebo (12 at baseline and 13 at study end)*
- Statistically significant improvement vs. placebo in all 11 menopausal symptoms in the Menopause Rating Scale (MRS), a validated measurement tool to evaluate hormone and natural therapies*
“The dramatic results produced by ERr 731, the key active ingredient in Estrovera, outpace other natural approaches available today*” said Jeffrey S. Bland PhD, FACN, Metagenics Chief Science Officer. ''Based on available quality research, other leading botanicals such as red clover, black cohosh, soy, and flax are only able to deliver, at best, a slight reduction in the number of hot flashes. In many of these studies, the benefits of those products were statistically insignificant.''
Mechanism of Action
The mechanism of action of ERr 731 in Estrovera may be attributed to the presence of hydroxystilbenes, a type of phytoestrogen that acts as a selective estrogen receptor modulator, or SERM, and which can be found in high concentrations in Siberian rhubarb. SERMs are compounds that may deliver the benefits of estrogen without its side effects.
Menopause: A Natural Progression
Menopause is part of the natural progression of a woman’s life. But for up to 8 out of 10 women, this time of transition -- which can last anywhere from 2 to 10 years -- can be fraught with an array of climacteric symptoms that can negatively affect their quality of life. Most bothersome of these complaints are hot flashes and “night” sweats, two vasomotor symptoms that can occur any time of the day. These symptoms can leave a woman feeling uncomfortable and embarrassed and cause her to awaken frequently at night, leading to exhaustion, mental fatigue, and depression. During the early stages of menopause, called perimenopause, these symptoms can be especially frequent and intense; some perimenopausal women experience 10 or more moderate to severe hot flashes in a single day.
''We’re excited to be able to bring Estrovera and its key ingredient ERr 731 to the North American market,'' said Bland. “Women’s health specialists and their patients are looking for safe, natural, and effective approaches to address menopausal symptoms. Estrovera provides that option.*”
Estrovera is the newest addition to Metagenics’ full line of high quality, science-based nutraceuticals formulated to address the health needs of women at every stage of life. Estrovera is only available through authorized Metagenics practitioners. For more information please visit http://www.metagenics.com/estroveraforwomen.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
About Metagenics, Inc.
Metagenics, headquartered in San Clemente, CA, is a global life sciences company focused on reversing chronic illness and improving health. Founded in 1983, the company serves tens of thousands of health care professionals and more than a million patients throughout the world and holds more than 230 awarded and pending international and domestic proprietary formula patents for use in nutraceuticals, medical foods, and pharmaceuticals. Today, Metagenics continues its leadership role by successfully merging the disciplines of nutritional genomics, functional medicine, and lifestyle intervention to find solutions to society's most pressing health concerns. For more information, please visit http://www.metagenics.com.
Joseline L. Davison
Public Relations Specialist