Tiny Micro/sys General-Purpose Microcontroller Board Delivers Low-Cost and Low-Power to Embedded Applications

Share Article

A tiny, RoHS-compliant microcontroller boards released by Micro/sys offers a low-power, low-cost solution for the simplest control needs.

A tiny, RoHS-compliant microcontroller boards released by Micro/sys offers a low-power, low-cost solution for the simplest control needs. The MCB08, part of the Micro/sys SNAP series of microcontroller boards, is based on the Freescale HC(S)08 microcontroller, and measures 1.7” x 1.2” x 0.85”. This 8-bit microcontroller chip enables the MCB08 to perform at the fastest speed (40 MHz) while requiring a typically low 100mW for power. This is the same draw as a couple of LEDs, which makes battery-operation a possibility, and also means that no cooling is required. This combination of compact size and low-power requirement allows the MCB08 to be used in handheld, bench-top, and battery-operated applications such as monitor/alarm systems, weather stations, and remote instrumentation. The MCB08 operates in extended temperature, -40° to +85°C.

Despite its small size and low power, the MCB08 packs a 40MHz HC(S)08 CPU with a fast instruction time of 50ns. The CPU is also highly integrated with up to 46 I/O multipurpose I/O lines. The I/O pins can be used as digital I/O, or they can allow access to eight channels of the 10-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC). Other functions include eight channels of timers or pulse width modulators (PWM), an 8-channel keypad interface, and 16 pins of high-current (10mA) digital output. Two RS232 serial ports and an I2C port round out the wide range of I/O available on the MCB08.

The MCB08 has 60kbytes of program/data flash and 4kbytes of SRAM. The highly efficient Freescale CodeWarrior compiler, which is included in the development kit, combines the simplicity of drag-and-drop software module “beans” with a powerful C compiler. Programs can be compiled, downloaded to the onboard flash with the provided serial cable, and then debugged without leaving the Integrated Development Environment.

Single quantity pricing for the MCB08 is $75. Significant OEM discounts are available. Contact Technical Sales Dept., Micro/sys, Inc., 3730 Park Place, Montrose, CA, 91020, phone (818) 244-4600, FAX (818) 244-4246, URL: http://www.embeddedsys.com.

Micro/sys has been manufacturing OEM industrial microcomputer products since 1976, including board-level products and integrated computers. Micro/sys embedded computers are specified by OEMs in semiconductor processing, medical, mail handling, pharmaceutical, industrial marking, process control, and many other industries.

# # #

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Lauren Dowden
Visit website