“The spirit of San Diego is as free and easy as the seagulls soaring overhead. It is the type of place that invites you to take your watch off for a while, kick back under the sun, and enjoy the waves rolling in,” said Chickowski.
Berkeley, CA (PRWEB) June 27, 2011
Planning a family vacation can be difficult. Fortunately, San Diego provides the trip planner a whole arsenal of tools to gain the adoration and admiration of spouses and children. For families spending this year’s summer vacation or staycation in San Diego, Ericka Chickowski—respected journalist and author of Moon San Diego—offers her selections for San Diego’s 10 best kid-friendly sights and attractions.
This summer, to help travelers enjoy the free and easy spirit of the city with the entire family, Chickowski is offering her list of the top 10 things for families to do in San Diego:
1. Delight the kids with the antics of Shamu and company at SeaWorld.
2. Pack a lunch, plenty of sunscreen, and an umbrella to make it a day of sun and sandcastles at Mission Beach.
3. Take a break from splashing in the ocean by pitter-pattering over the boardwalk blacktop to Belmont Park, positioned right on the beach at South Mission.
4. Check out the collection of more than 80 old steam and diesel engines, cabooses, passenger cars, and more at the San Diego Railroad Museum in Campo.
5. Spend the day touring a real-life gold mine at Eagle & HighPeak Mines and gorging on apple pie in the historical town of Julian.
6. Young families can revel in the world of clickety bricks at Legoland in Carlsbad. The new adjacent Legoland waterpark is also great way to cool off on a hot summer day.
7. Come face-to-face with lions and tigers and bears at the world-famous San Diego Zoo.
8. Try your hand at angling off the West Coast’s longest concrete pier, Ocean Beach Pier.
9. In the winter, get a glimpse of a breaching grey whale aboard one of the many whale-watching tours that depart from the Embarcadero.
10. Let the kids touch as much as they want in the interactive displays at the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center in Balboa Park.
About Moon Travel Guides & Moon.com
Moon Travel Guides make independent travel and outdoor exploration fun and accessible. With expert writers delivering a mix of honest insight, first-rate strategic advice, and an essential dose of humor, Moon guidebooks ensure that travelers have an uncommon and entirely satisfying travel experience. Moon not only guides, Moon inspires.