"Nagarro acted as a strategic partner to help us shift our entire IT culture from reactive to proactive.” - Ted Kull, Director of IT, SIAM
San Jose, CA (PRWEB) June 2, 2010
- SIAM has successfully implemented a custom software product designed by Nagarro to automate the judging process of the 2010 Moody’s Mega Math Challenge. This year, more than 500 teams of high school math students are competing for scholarships totaling $100,000, with a grand prize of a $20,000 scholarship to be shared among members of the winning team.
- The submissions – which contain up to 20 pages of text, charts, graphs, tables and equations – were judged among seven teams of PhD-level professional applied mathematicians. Over a period of 20 days, each submission was evaluated by multiple judges who were able to view submissions online and remotely at their own convenience, thus eliminating printing, mailing and redistribution of printed hard copies.
- In order to deal with the increasing number of submissions and judges spanning a greater geographic area, SIAM enlisted Nagarro to design, build and implement custom software to manage the first round of the judging process for the contest. The new system created by Nagarro logs, tracks, calibrates and calculates the scoring of each submission online; provides judging instructions and relevant background for each judge; ensures complete password-protected confidentiality of all entries; captures judges’ comments clearly and legibly; and enables judges to participate remotely and forward submissions to other judges electronically in order to meet critical deadlines.
- Prior to implementing the custom software developed by Nagarro, the judging process for the contest was primarily manual and paper-based. Though the previous system was effective, it had become increasingly time-consuming to administer within the proscribed timeframe as the Moody’s Mega Math Challenge grew each year. In addition to making the process more scalable, SIAM also wanted to dramatically reduce the environmental impact of paper and shipping related to the submission and judging processes.
- Nagarro’s solution was developed in Microsoft® SharePoint® in order to allow for future growth, enhancements, and integration or incorporation of other supporting systems such as participant registration and management; competition problem distribution; and the uploading of solution papers.
- Based on the success of this year’s judging process to date, SIAM is outlining plans for a future version of the software which will also include enhanced real-time dashboard functionality, alert systems and automated reporting features.
“Nagarro shares SIAM’s appreciation of math concepts and the type of content we are dealing with. Not only did Nagarro have a vision for an advanced SharePoint solution, its engineers had the skills and experience to implement it expertly. Nagarro acted as a strategic partner to help us shift our entire IT culture from reactive to proactive.” -- Ted Kull, Director of IT, SIAM
“Nagarro is proud to partner with SIAM to create opportunities for young people in the field of applied mathematics, an effort which ties in with our longstanding support for educational and academic organizations. Moreover, it is gratifying to see the direct impact our software will have on the environment. We commend SIAM for proactively seeking paperless systems as eco-friendly alternative to manual processes.” -- Vikas Sehgal, CEO, Nagarro Inc.
The Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), headquartered in Philadelphia, serves and advances the disciplines of applied mathematics and computational science by publishing a variety of books and prestigious peer-reviewed research journals, by conducting conferences, and by hosting activity groups in various areas of mathematics. It is an international society of over 13,000 applied and computational mathematicians and computer scientists, as well as other scientists and engineers. Members are researchers, educators, students, and practitioners from 90 countries working in industry, government, laboratories, and academia. The Society, which also includes nearly 500 academic and corporate institutional members, SIAM provides many opportunities for students including regional sections and student chapters. Further information is available at http://www.siam.org.
About Nagarro, Inc.
Nagarro builds complex, business-critical products and applications that help companies meet their core business goals and gain competitive advantage. Nagarro’s complete commitment to the success of every project, unmatched engineering skill and quality, and deep domain expertise in numerous industries build on a shared vision of success between Nagarro and each of its customers. Founded in 1996, Nagarro has offices in the US, Mexico, Germany, Sweden and India. For more information, please visit http://www.nagarro.com or call 408-436-6170.