Vista, CA (PRWEB) June 17, 2010
Because not everyone can enjoy the warmth and illumination of outdoor sunshine due to work, school, or issues that keep people indoors, bringing the sun into homes and buildings through “daylighting” has become an important element of modern design.
Daylight brought indoors has been shown to improve productivity, enhance health and wellness, and reduce overall energy costs. Pure natural daylight makes colors more vivid, reduces eye strain, and, according to studies, the variation in solar light levels throughout the course of a day helps cure Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).
Here are 10 facts about daylighting that can help homeowners, office professionals and designers appreciate daylight on Daylight Appreciation Day and year-round:
1. Daylighting provides energy usage reduction during the most important time of day, peak hours, when energy rates are the highest and daylight availability is the greatest.
2. Integrating daylight into home designs can slash interior lighting costs by up to 80%.
3. Tubular Daylighting Devices can bring daylight into dark spaces into homes and businesses, and can be easily installed in about two hours without the hassle and expense of reframing.
4. A 2003 study of office worker productivity found that exposure to daylight was consistently linked with higher levels of concentration and better short-term memory.
5. According to the Wisconsin-based Daylighting Collaborative, about 86% of electricity in traditional buildings is used for light, fans and cooling. A daylighting project can cut these costs by more than 50% by reducing electric lighting, because daylight produces less heat per unit of illumination than most light sources.
6. Daylight provides the truest and most vivid color rendition of all available light sources.
7. The Solatube 160 DS, a 10-inch tubular daylighting device designed for the home, can provide the equivalent of three, 100-watt incandescent light bulbs during the peak hours of the day without adding heat or glare to the room.
8. Studies in Canada and Sweden noted improved student behavior and health, including fewer days of absences per year, in daylit classrooms.
9. The NAHB Green Home Building Guidelines specifically recommend that Tubular Daylighting Devices be installed in rooms without windows.
10. Skylights are cited as the number one option in “dream bathroom” designs.
Celebrate Daylight Appreciation Day on Monday, June 21, 2010 – the first day of summer – by visiting http://www.nationaldaylightday.com for details on how to enter win a Solatube 160 Daylighting System, or follow @Solatube on Twitter for more information.
About Solatube International:
Solatube International Inc., based in Vista, Calif. (northern San Diego County), is the worldwide leading manufacturer and marketer of Tubular Daylighting Devices (TDDs). The company’s flagship product, the Solatube Daylighting System, provides a revolutionary natural lighting solution for all types of residential and commercial applications and is the only spec-grade TDD currently available on the market. The maxim “Innovation in Daylighting™” reflects the company’s commitment to the development of breakthrough daylighting technologies, which has resulted in numerous patents dating back to the mid-1980s. Widely recognized as the industry innovator, Solatube International has earned acclaim around the globe for its unrivaled ability to transform interior spaces with the power of daylight. For more information on the Solatube Daylighting System or other products manufactured and marketed by Solatube International, including solar-powered attic ventilation fans, please visit the Solatube Web site at http://www.solatube.com.