With a little bit of effort, we can greatly reduce the number of work related injuries in America.
Dallas, TX (PRWEB) December 02, 2012
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, a worker is injured in the USA every 5 seconds. In 1996, the National Safety Council estimated that on-the-job injuries cost Americans $121 billion on societal expenses. Some of these include lost wages, lost productivity, health care costs, and many other expenses.
Dr. Mark Harris, a Dallas chiropractor, whose clinic Trinity Mills Chiropractic Centre has worked with hundreds of work injury patients, says that workplace injuries are far too common and many times can be avoided.
"Most workplace injuries that I treat are ones that are preventable. Often times they are the result of a momentary lapse of judgment or a lack of proper safety precautions," said Dr. Harris.
Here is Dr. Harris’ list of 5 tips to help you stay injury free while at work:
1) While working at your desk or computer, make sure that you sit with your knees at about a 90 to 130 degree angle. Sitting with more or less of an angle can cause strain on your back.
2) Always lift properly. Bend at the knees and use your hips when lifting. Try to keep your back straight and the weight balanced and objects close to your body.
3) Exercise frequently and eat healthy. Also remember to avoid lifting heavy objects by your self.
4) Take frequent stretch breaks. If you sit at your computer all day, make sure to stretch, every 30 minutes. If you stand all day, taking the load off can also help prevent injury.
5) Get adequate sleep. Fatigue greatly increases the risk of injury.
While these are just guidelines for work safety, Dr. Harris urges his patients to take the common sense approach. Doing anything repetitively, can lead to injury. "I tell my patients to stay alert and be aware of their workplace surroundings. Test the object before you lift it. With a little bit of effort, we can greatly reduce the number of work related injuries in America," Dr. Harris concluded.
Dr. Mark Harris offers new patients a complimentary office consultation. Once you get to know Dr. Harris and his staff, you won’t want to go anywhere else. Dr. Mark Harris, D.C. is located at 17610 Midway Rd. Suite 124, Dallas, TX 75287. Telephone: (972) 380-6977.
Where can people find out more about a Dallas, TX chiropractor and Dr. Harris? Visit http://www.ndallaschiro.com to learn more.