New Orleans, LA (PRWEB) October 30, 2011
With winter around the corner, some homeowners will begin to rely on space heaters to heat up a room or area. Although these heaters are portable and convenient, they can be dangerous if used incorrectly. According to Harvard University Environmental Health & Safety Group, more than 25,000 residential fires and 6,000 emergency room visits are caused by space heaters in this country every year.
“Space heaters must be used with caution,” says Robert Schlumbrecht, owner of Schlumbrecht’s Electric. “Stay warm, but keep safety a priority.”
Schlumbrecht’s Electric offers the following precautions when using electric space heaters:
1. Do not overload the circuits. Never use extension cords or multiple plugs with a space heater.
2. Make sure the space heater is not plugged into the same circuit as other electric appliances.
3. Place the space heater out of high-traffic areas and on a level, hard, non-flammable floor surface. Do not place on carpet, furniture, or countertops.
4. Install fire detectors in rooms where space heaters will be used.
5. Keep space heaters at least three feet from flammable items such as draperies, blankets, and sofas.
6. Do not leave space heaters unattended. Turn off before leaving the room and unplug when leaving for the day.
7. Never allow pets or children near an electric heater.
If fuses blow or circuit breakers trip repeatedly for no apparent reason, it’s time to contact an electrician. Schlumbrecht’s Electric is equipped to skillfully handle any electrical problem including changing fuses to circuit breakers, generator installations, new construction, rewiring, and much more. Fully licensed and insured, their family-owned company has 65 years cumulative experience.
For more information, visit them on the Web.
About Schlumbrecht’s Electric
Schlumbrecht’s Electric is a family-owned business with 65 years cumulative experience and provides complete electrical services including generator installations, new service, rewiring, changing fuses to circuit breakers, and home inspections. Owner, Robert Joseph Schlumbrecht, has quickly gained an impeccable reputation as an honest and trustworthy company that strives to keep their customers safe and happy.