Unfortunately the knock-on effects of the Icelandic volcano eruption are likely to be felt long after the planes take to the skies once more.
(PRWeb UK) April 21, 2010
According to the International Air Transport Association approximately 81,000 flights were cancelled, creating a massive backlog. The impact on British travel has been immense, with the Daily Mail reporting over 1 million Britons stranded.
UK travel insurance provider Direct Travel has confirmed that they will cover claims from customers that are either stranded abroad or cannot travel due to the volcanic ash. Many travel insurance policies do not cover such situations, but in light of these extraordinary circumstances Direct Travel Insurance is treating this as an ‘adverse weather event’. This means customers may be able to make a claim for Travel delay, Abandonment or Missed departure under their policy.
Paul Thilo, Vice President – Consumer Marketing at Direct Travel Insurance said: “We have received calls from a lot of distraught customers. Some are concerned about their forthcoming holidays, while others are stranded abroad. Whilst our travel insurance does not normally cover this kind of situation, we wanted to do what we could to help those that have had their holidays affected. Unfortunately the knock-on effects of the Icelandic volcano eruption are likely to be felt long after the planes take to the skies once more.”
Claims for costs that cannot be recovered from another source such as the airlines, tour operators or hotels will be met for policies purchased before 13th April 2010, when the event began. Normal policy limits and conditions will apply.
For further information visit http://www.direct-travel.co.uk.
For further press information, contact Sally Wilkinson at Direct Travel Insurance on 07894 095 384.
Note to editors:
- Established in 1993, Direct Travel Insurance has now insured 8 million people and provided winter sports cover for 1.4 million policyholders.
- Direct Travel Insurance offers Single Trip, Winter Sports travel cover, Backpacker insurance and Annual Multi-trip travel insurance.
- Direct Travel Insurance policies include a 24 hour medical emergency service, Medical expenses up to £20m per person, Missed departure up to £1,000, Delayed departure up to £350 and Abandonment up to £6,000 per person.
- Direct Travel Insurance will automatically extend cover, at no extra cost, for single trip policyholders that are stranded abroad due to the travel disruption.
- Travel insurance policies are available for travellers up to the age of 75.
- Direct Travel Insurance offers Talking Nurses, a free service giving health advice to worried travellers, including information on local medicine when travelling abroad.