Consumers tell us that apparel items are the number one item they will give as gifts this season. Perhaps some of these top selling and 'on trend' items will be under the tree this year.
Port Washington, NY (Vocus) December 16, 2010
As we approach the last shopping weekend before Christmas, Marshal Cohen, chief industry analyst, The NPD Group, Inc., a leading market research company, takes a look at some fashionable ideas that could be holiday gifts this season.
- Mini-Bags – Sales of Mini-Bags are up almost 200 percent* over last year.
“Forget the big handbags,” says Cohen, “These little gems cost less and they also make a statement.”
- Shearling Boots – Overall, sales of boots in the women’s and girl’s markets are up 29 percent* for the year-to-date.
“The UGG brand is the top choice for a shearling boot but other brands like Bearpaw and BareTraps are faring well, too,” noted Cohen.
- Athletic Footwear – Overall sales of athletic footwear are up just over 11 percent January thru October 2010*.
“New technology drives consumer interest here,” Cohen says, “Look for the styles with a lot of new and different functions being built into the sole to be of the most interest.”
- Wristlets – Sales of this women’s accessory have grown by 25 percent in the past 2 years ending in October 2010.*
Cohen notes, “This less expensive ‘bling’ will add a little ‘zing’ this year.”
- Rainboots – Sales of rainboots for both women and men are up 120 percent, children’s rainboots sales are up 70 percent.**
“Forget those old galoshes, this new take on Wellies is fun and streetwear
worthy.” says Cohen.
- Jeggings – In the most recently compiled NPD research* sales of jeggings in the U.S. rose by 103 percent* and it is women between the ages of 12 and 29 that account for the largest share of those purchases.
“Jeggings have grown in popularity over the last 12 to 18 months as the skinny jean trend gained momentum and an even tighter denim style was desired,” observed Cohen.
- Skirts – Another strong performer in the women’s apparel market, the sales of skirts are up just over 19 percent* for the year to date October.
“Skirts require additional pieces to build an outfit,” says Cohen, “Now add a sweater or top, some tights and you have a great outfit to give to someone on your list.”
*The NPD Group, Inc./Consumer Tracking Service
**The NPD Group, Inc./Retail Tracking Service – channels covered are Dept. Stores, National Chains, Shoe Chains, and Athletic Specialty/Sporting Goods Stores. Results reported are 3rd Retail Quarter (Aug-Oct) 2010 vs. 3rd Retail Quarter 2009
About The NPD Group, Inc.
The NPD Group is the leading provider of reliable and comprehensive consumer and retail information for a wide range of industries. Today, more than 1,800 manufacturers, retailers, and service companies rely on NPD to help them drive critical business decisions at the global, national, and local market levels. NPD helps our clients to identify new business opportunities and guide product development, marketing, sales, merchandising, and other functions. Information is available for the following industry sectors: automotive, beauty, commercial technology, consumer technology, entertainment, fashion, food and beverage, foodservice, home, office supplies, software, sports, toys, and wireless. For more information, visit http://www.npd.com , or follow us Twitter at twitter.com/marshalcohen and twitter.com/npdfashion. Become a fan of Marshal Cohen at http://www.facebook.com/npdmarshalcohen and watch more on NPD’s YouTube channel.
The NPD Group, Inc.