While VoIP is a well-defined market, mobile VoIP is still in its infancy, with most offerings only being developed over the past several years.
Scottsdale, Ariz. (PRWEB) January 04, 2012
Driven by increased smartphone penetration and a growing breadth of offerings, mobile VoIP usage is on the rise. As the addressable market increases with smartphone penetration a greater number of providers are introducing services, including a growing handful of mobile operators that are beginning to embrace, to some degree, mobile VoIP. New NPD In-Stat (http://www.instat.com) research reports that active mobile VoIP subscriber rates will triple in 2011, growing from 9 million in 2010 to 29 million.
“While VoIP is a well-defined market, mobile VoIP is still in its infancy, with most offerings only being developed over the past several years, and because it’s in its nascent stage, there are significant opportunities for companies to develop the market,” says Amy Cravens, Senior Analyst. “However, there are also a number of uncertainties, which is not surprising in a new market.”
Key analysis includes:
- The primary distribution channel utilized by respondents to access mobile VoIP offerings is through the OS application store.
- The largest concentration of mobile VoIP users is in Western Europe.
- Revenues associated with mobile VoIP usage will increase to over $4 billion in 2015.
- LTE operators are not likely to have a significant impact on the mobile VoIP market until 2013.
New NPD In-Stat research, Mobile VoIP 2012: Mobile Operators Provide a Guarded Embrace (#IN1104931MCM), explores the emerging market for mobile VoIP offerings, covering:
- Definition and discussion of mobile VoIP
- Discussion of the broad spectrum of mobile VoIP industry participants including start-ups, online VoIP providers, mobile virtual network operators, mobile virtual network enablers, and the mobile operators themselves
- The breadth of mobile VoIP solutions and analysis of key providers
- Elements impeding and promoting the adoption of mobile VoIP
- Discussion of underlying markets including smartphone adoption and 3G/4G services
- Forecasts of worldwide mobile VoIP subscribers, usage, and revenues segmented by region and associated provider (independent, 3G, LTE)
- Vendor profiles of market incumbents, established new entrants, and recent start-ups including; 3 Mobile, AT&T, fring, Google, JAJAH, Nimbuzz, Raketu, Rebtel, Skype, Telefonica/O2, Truphone, T-Mobile, Vopium, Vonage, and Verizon Wireless.
This research is part of NPD In-Stat’s Mobile Applications & Services, which provides analysis and forecasts of the markets for mobile applications and content, including consumer perspectives, usage models, competitive business models, mobile applications, and operating systems (OS).
About NPD In-Stat
NPD In-Stat’s market intelligence combines technical, market and end-user research and database models to analyze the Mobile Internet and Digital Entertainment ecosystems. Our insights are derived from a deep understanding of technology impacts, nearly 30 years of history in research and consulting, and direct relationships with leading players in each of our core markets. In-Stat provides its research through reports, annual subscriptions, consulting and advisory services to inform critical decisions. Technology vendors, equipment manufacturers, service providers and media companies worldwide rely on In-Stat to support critical business, product and technology decisions.
About The NPD Group, Inc.
The NPD Group is the leading provider of reliable and comprehensive consumer and retail information for a wide range of industries. Today, more than 1,800 manufacturers, retailers, and service companies rely on NPD to help them drive critical business decisions at the global, national, and local market levels. NPD helps our clients to identify new business opportunities and guide product development, marketing, sales, merchandising, and other functions. Information is available for the following industry sectors: automotive, beauty, commercial technology, consumer technology, entertainment, fashion, food and beverage, foodservice, home, office supplies, software, sports, toys, and wireless. For more information, contact us or visit http://www.npd.com and http://www.npdgroupblog.com. Follow us on Twitter at @npdtech and @npdgroup.
Note to Editors:
In-Stat’s parent company, The NPD Group, recently modified the company references of its member companies. As you may notice in the press release below, In-Stat has been re-named “NPD In-Stat.” We hope you can refer to the updated “NPD In-Stat” reference (instead of In-Stat) in any articles you are preparing.
Amy Cravens, Senior Analyst
Email: acravens(at)in-stat(dot)com; Phone: (480) 483-4451
Rick Vogelei, Marketing Manager
Email: rvogelei(at)in-stat(dot)com; Phone: (480) 483-4476
# # #