New York Construction Accident Lawyer David Perecman Discusses Negligence Following Fatal Parking Garage Collapse

Share Article

New York construction accident lawyer David Perecman of The Perecman Firm discusses the causes and consequences of structural collapse after one worker dies and another is seriously injured in a parking garage construction accident.

New York construction accident lawyer

The Perecman Firm

A building collapse is usually preventable and the cause of most New York building collapses is human negligence.

One construction worker was killed and another was seriously injured after a concrete section in a Maryland parking garage collapsed, reported The Washington Post (5.23.13). A large portion of the parking deck fell and trapped the two men underneath a 55,000-pound slab. New York construction accident lawyer David Perecman understands the many dangers that exist when parts of a building need to be renovated.

“All construction and renovation work can be potentially dangerous,” said Perecman.

“Whether a building partially collapses or completely collapses, the people working on the building are going to be put in immediate danger as a direct result,” he added.

The site of the construction accident was the Westfield Montgomery Mall in suburban Maryland. The collapse occurred between the second and third floors of the garage, said The Washington Post.

According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), construction errors contributed to 80% of the structural collapses investigated from 1990 to 2008. The remaining 20% of the incidents were attributed to structural design flaws.

Construction errors leading to a structural collapse can include faulty construction, bad design, poor planning, foundation failure, excessive loads, and defective construction materials.

“A building collapse is usually preventable and the cause of most New York building collapses is human negligence,” Perecman said.

Construction workers on the job have a right to be safe. Depending on the circumstances of the accident, a construction firm, building owner, engineer, architect or others may be held liable for injuries incurred during a building collapse. In the event of a building or structural collapse in New York, construction accident lawyers at The Perecman Firm can investigate the circumstances of the accident to help determine when and where negligence occurred. Parties responsible for construction accidents can be held responsible through a construction accident lawsuit.

For more than 30 years, the construction accident attorneys at The Perecman Firm in New York have aggressively helped injured workers and-or their families obtain compensation following construction accidents in New York. Contact The Perecman Firm at 212-977-7033.

The Washington Post article cited is "Construction worker killed in partial collapse of Montgomery mall parking garage."

About David Perecman and The Perecman Firm, PLLC:

For the past 30 years, the New York construction accident, medical malpractice, auto accident, personal injury, and civil rights violation lawyers at The Perecman Firm, PLLC have handled all types of New York construction accident cases, including building, scaffold and crane collapses. David Perecman, founder of the Firm, has been recognized for his achievements as an Honoree in the National Law Journal's Hall of Fame, in New York Magazine's "The Best Lawyers in America" and The New York Times Magazine "New York Super Lawyers, Metro Edition" for the years 2007-2010. The prestigious U.S. News & World Report ranks The Perecman Firm among the top 20 personal injury firms in New York City for 2011-2012 and 2012-2013.

The Firm has recovered millions of dollars for its clients. Among the more recent victories, Mr. Perecman won a $15 million verdict** for a construction accident (Index 112370/03) Supreme Court, New York County, a $5.35 million dollar verdict*** for an automobile accident (Index 2749/04) Supreme Court, Kings County, and a $40 million dollar structured settlement for medical malpractice (Index 2146/03)****Supreme Court, Kings County.

The Perecman Firm serves Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Long Island, Westchester, Upstate NY, Morris County, and Rockland County.

**later settled while on appeal for $7.940 million    
*** later settled for $3.5 million
**** total potential payout

"Lawyer Advertising"+
"Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome."

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Sherry Ishak
The Perecman Firm
212-977-7033
Email >

David Perecman
The Perecman Firm
212-977-7033
Email >
Visit website