Toledo, Ohio (PRWEB) March 31, 2008
AquaBlok, Ltd., a manufacturer of innovative clay-based composite materials, is proud to announce the introduction of a new organoclay product that provides for ease of delivery and improved performance of this well known remedial material technology.
AquaBlok+ORGANOCLAY provides the following primary benefits, compared to the use of conventional powdered or pelletized organoclay products:
- Improved delivery through a standing water column -- to sediments
- More efficient use of organoclay through use of a thin coating on a substrate/core
- Better product effectiveness through higher organoclay surface area
- Lower cost per pound for a target volume
- Ease of Handling and placement
AquaBlok+ORGANOCLAY works due to the unique properties of organically modified clays. In general terms, it functions on the principle of adsorption through Ionic Bonding. There is no actual exchange, where one particle is substituted for another. Each particle of clay and contaminant infinitely wrestles for possession of the other. This bond is strong enough that the contaminant particle is removed from the water and will not be released without the addition of a significant outside source of energy.
Organoclays have been used for many years in water purification and a wide range of other petroleum contamination related applications. Generally, AquaBlok+ ORGANOCLAY is expected to adsorb between 50-100% of the total weight of the organoclay present in the particle. This percentage of organoclay can vary from 20-40% depending on the desired treatment design, contaminant material and concentration.
AquaBlok+ORGANOCLAY is applicable to a wide range of common contaminant issues as well as a range of very typical remediation site characteristics. Below is a partial listing of both types of sites and contaminants, as well as typical uses where the material can be applied.
Types of Sites/Contaminants:
Manufactured Gas Plants (MGP)
Wood Treatment Facilities (Creosote)
Coal Tar (BTEX)
PAHs / NAPL
Permeable Reactive Barriers (PRB)
Cut-off Walls / Soil Mixing
Refinery Pipe Racks
Berms / Spill Control Applications
What Makes AquaBlok+ORGANOCLAY Better
Two important advantages are provided by AquaBlok's organoclay product. First, the dense aggregate core of the coated particle (greater mass) effectively delivers organoclay though the water to the sediments, where all of the adsorbent material can be effectively utilized. Second, the larger diameter surface of the organoclay coated particle presents a higher effective surface area to potential contaminants. This provides for a more efficient use of the high-value organoclay component at a cost that is lower than pure organoclay.
Other important features of AquaBlok+ORGANOCLAY:
- Remains permeable, allowing all the effective adsorbent material to be utilized
- Is hydrophobic, so it is unimpacted from lack of water for a period of time
- Can be mixed with soil or other permeable media for use in cut-off of lateral seeps
- When configured as a "gate" with a "funnel and gate" system, can selectively capture discharges from submerged seeps of upland plume related discharges
- Placement below a low permeability AquaBlok cap will minimize thickness of treatment layer due to efficient use of material in lateral seep below cap
About AquaBlok, Ltd.
AquaBlok, Ltd. is a manufacturer of composite (clay-based) materials utilizing its patented coating and amendment approach. The company has a long history in the environmental industry and a range of products utilized in sediment remediation technologies. AquaBlok utilizes its delivery system in a range of other products including, pond and industrial impoundment sealing, as seep collars on piping, to construct cut-off walls in porous soil conditions, flood control applications (i.e. levee and dam protection), and to deliver organoclay-based materials. In addition, AquaBlok is a licensee of Halliburton's Bariod Division for the Baraclear® algae treatment product.
# # #